Dracula (1931) History of Horror

Mike Matei / October 4th, 2007

SEE THE FULL LENGTH COMMENTARY HERE.

Comments

• April 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I’m sure there’s not much else to say about this 1931 classic even after you and Mike did the commentary.

I know that it spawned two sequels including Dracula’s Daughter and Son of Dracula. Haven’t seen them yet but if I liked them, they’re worth buying. If not, I’ll buy the recently released 75th Anniversarry Edition with the restored screams at the end!

• Shikster

April 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Dracula was actually shot twice. Once with Lugosi and once with spanish actors. It was shot right after the Lugosi film and used all the same sets and everything. I have not seen the spanish version but critics say its better than the USA version.

• the violent video game nerd

May 20, 2010 at 4:10 am

id have christopher lee stood side by side with legosi as the bests draculas to be honest.

• lionseed

June 15, 2010 at 4:08 am

too sad that in the spanish dub , don’t have that hungarian accent so the interpretation and the drama is not so intense, im lucky to understand a bit english so i can see all that movies how they was, is grate to listen to their real voices

• TheFreakMachine

July 14, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Same here as for the Italian dub, no eastern europe accent. 🙁
      Luckily you can always watch the original language version.

• WatchmenFTW

July 9, 2010 at 11:30 am

This looks great, Bela Lugosi sounded a little like he was singing at 1:00-1: 09. When he says tommorow, it sounds like the beginning to a musical number.
    Anyway, I’d love to see this, but in my opinion James, Gary Oldman is the best Dracula. Bela Lugosi made an icon of Dracula but Gary Oldman perfected him.

• TheFreakMachine

July 14, 2016 at 4:45 pm

xD He really semms about to sing!

• venom 51007

September 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm

What about christopher Lee @WATCHMENFTW is the something wrong with lee cause if u ask anyone here everyone will remember Christopher LEE (I know I will.)

• slasherfan

September 13, 2010 at 6:07 pm

you should make a top 10 vampire movies list

• GialloHorror

October 4, 2010 at 8:07 am

Fuck “Twilight”, man, this is film is what vampires are about.

Lugosi is fucking incredible, and he’ll always be Dracula to me. I LOVE this film!!!!

And LMAO! Dracula is a fuckimg PIMP, indeed!

• Hourglass

October 16, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Lugosi has more talent in his little finger than the entire cast of all the Twilight movies, combined!

Amazing movie. This is THE definitive Dracula film. If you only watch one vampire flick (or one horror movie, period) it should be this one.

• blazer

October 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

this movie is on netflix and now i’m go this golden age masterpiece

• penpan

August 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Bela Lugosi is THE MAN. I’m glad Ed Wood used him in the last years of his life!

• September 26, 2011 at 8:04 am

It would be nice to hear your opinions on the film’s sequels including Dracula’s Daughter, Son of Dracula, and the two movies with John Carradine. They may be fun to watch, but doesn’t top the excellence of the original.

Speaking of John Carradine, he also played Dracula in the low budget Billy the Kid Vs. Dracula. The Cinema Snob already covered it in great detail, but I would like to hear what you say about it.

• ShawnCHiLL

October 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Very interesting that he only knew enough english to say his lines. Now i know. Love this movie.

• Darthleather

October 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

My problem with Dracula is that once Dracula gets to Carfax Abbey, it gets kinda boring. The scenes with Renfield at Dracula’s castle are wonderful, and easily the best part of the movie. It never gets that good again.

• StutumSpeaking

January 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Bela Lugosi will always be the best Dracula in my opinion.

• jacko wacko

July 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

The answer is pretty obvious but i thought i should post a comment about it. Who do you think would win in a fight:Count Dracula vs Edward Cullen

• Alex Krajci

September 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

1931’s Dracula Is One Of My Favorite Films, I Like Bela Lugosi’s Performance As Count Dracula, I Like The English-Language Version Not The Spanlish-Language Version, I Like To Watch 1931’s Dracula Just With The Original Soundtrack Not The One With The Phillip Glass Score.

• Idmndcookies

January 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Stephanie Meyer can go to hell! Long live Stoker and Lugosi, dead or not.

• Nick Beaman

August 25, 2013 at 11:29 pm

The only problem I have with the movie is the ending. No climax, they just go find Dracula in his coffin and stake him. The end. Really crap ending in my opinion. Nothing like the ending to Frankenstein.

• SUP3RFLYSAMURA1

August 20, 2014 at 12:19 am

I felt it was suspenseful, I mean Dracula taking mina and then him running away into the dungeon. U jus wanted them 2 get him.

• September 21, 2013 at 3:24 am

Please check out my review of Dracula at thatfighterguy.wordpress.com

• Shezzarine

May 7, 2014 at 12:18 am

I love how you came back here and added the link to the commentary <3

• SUP3RFLYSAMURA1

August 20, 2014 at 12:17 am

A classic that still is as chilling and even more than anything ever made. Man Bela Lugosi is Dracula. He’s such a pimp.

• Stuart Wilke

October 21, 2014 at 1:14 am

While the original version works fairly well without music, in 1999, Philip Glass was hired to compose a film score using the Kronos Quartet. Current DVD and Blu-ray versions give you the option to enable this music, and I think it’s pretty good, though I think it’s a little overused, there are a number of scenes that would function better if the music stopped for a bit. Still, I think, like most films, music is a key part of the experience, and the film is better for it.

• grandizer74

October 26, 2014 at 3:32 am

When Van Helsing pulls the cross out and Dracula flees from it, it made me curious. What exactly starts the cross’ power? I know it gets power from the faith of the wielder. But it doesn’t affect Dracula until he sees it. So Dracula has to see it for it to repel him. If that’s the case, why doesn’t he just close his eyes and keep moving forward? The cross itself doesn’t protect the wearer, because Van Helsing has it with him the entire time.

• Joel DeLorge

February 21, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Probably my favorite of the Universal horror films. Such a fantastic film. I highly recommend listening to the Alice Cooper song, “The Ballad of Dwight Fry”.

• June 17, 2016 at 11:28 am

the minutes, when i feel so proud that im hungarian. Btw. Béla Lugosi is a good actor and real life dracula, Vlad was hungarian too. i know his grad-grand-grand-grand… daughter. AShe’s one of my theatchers.