Nosferatu (1922) History of Horror

Mike Matei / October 2nd, 2007

Comments

• April 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm

This should be the film that crazy die-hard fans of Twilight should see for what vampires were really like, and maybe scare the pants off of them! I must’ve seen it a couple of times and I cannot get enough of it!

I would love to own it on DVD, but I have a tough time deciding between the R0 Image and the R1 Kino. I know that both editions have some good image and sound choices while each has its own array of special features. What do you think James?

• Shikster

April 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm

This movie still creeps me out …..and always will.

• Shikster

April 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Also check out The original Salems Lot……..The vampire in that was inspired by……….and looks very much like Orlock.

• Mark Austin

March 15, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Really? If I remember correctly it was based off of the vampires from the EC horror comic series? It probably was based off of a lot of things though. 🙂

• June 12, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I swear that vampire is fucking frecky!

• lionseed

June 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm

i love this movie , ive seen it so many times and still surprise me with some details, someone know if james always put all the reviews on october? is for halloween , is in october right? at 31, in spain we have no halloween , so have no sense for me, we have the day of all saints, the day that we honor the dead people ,so we go in to the cementery that look so grate because everybody put a lot of flowers in each tomb, and in silence we pray for the ppl that has gone , so is not very funny, is not a celebration like in mexico…

• Fluteloop

December 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

@lionseed E ti quen carallo ereS?

• WatchmenFTW

June 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Max Schreck was actually thought to be a real vampire in real life at the time because everyone thought his performance was so epic. I always consider Orlock to be a completely different vampire to Dracula.

• Stickman007

September 7, 2010 at 8:18 pm

so i want to know do you own the 50 classic horror movies set i picked one up at borders its got Nosferatu White zombie night of the living dead, revolt of the zombies and about 40 other movies even though i guess most are crap

• pickes500

September 10, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Just watched this movie last night. I’m not much of a horror movie fan but in light of a massive school project to create a website explaining movie genres I decided to “do some research” and watch this. It was fairly good and while I have not seen any other horror films I think this is a good precursor to later Dracula films. Also since I watch a lot of your videos, I was able to use your knowledge of old horror movies to my advantage in writitng my “History of Horror”.

• GialloHorror

October 4, 2010 at 8:02 am

Not a big fan of silent films, but this and “Phantom of the Opera” are fucking amazing!

• mosaic.wav

December 14, 2010 at 10:01 am

I watched and enjoyed Nosferatu, but perhaps because I’m of a younger generation, I couldn’t help but point out its flaws and laugh at the obvious special effects. Still, it was enjoyable in much the way the original Dracula was for me.

However, I watched Shadow of the Vampire, and that was a whole different story. It starts out normal, but by the end I was lost, confused, and disturbed in a way that didn’t leave me feeling satisfied. I would just stick to Nosferatu, personally.

• cesarmanuel51

May 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’M GONNA SEE IF I COULD WATCH THE FULL MOVIE BUT AWESOME REVIEW

• penpan

August 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

cesarmanuel51, I highly recommend it…I just hadn’t seen Nosferatu til last halloween and had it on my list thanks to James. I was thoroughly horrified and delighted. It’s a real classic!

• Rod Lightning

August 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Borrowed it from the library and very excited to see it!

• Kaandorpius

October 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I bought the 2 disc special edition from Eureka Video. (EKA40025)

It features the movie on both discs. One version is fully portraited in sepia, while the other is the original black and white version wich also has unicolered scenes as if they have dipped the film in colored ink, like they sometimes did in the early 1900’s. Its “fully” restored and digitally remastered, and the new musical score is one long progressive industrial track by Art Zoyd, wich really gives the movie a good creepy atmosphere.

For those who are looking for a decent version of F.W. Murnau’s Nosferatu, i highly recommend this particular dvd set.

• Pauluk35

October 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This is have to stay after nearly 100 years still scares me. The one and only horror i think that does. Its just so fucking creepy and yes the age and the silent movie aspect helps A LOT This is, THE Dracula movie

• ShadowGameWolf7

November 5, 2011 at 10:08 pm

who seen him on spongebob XD

• jacko wacko

July 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Who would win in a fight:Count Orlok vs Count Dracula

• Idmndcookies

January 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Poor Bram Stoker is just spinning in his fucking grave right now as he sees what vampires have become. Bram, you are and always will be the author who wrote one of the best books ever. And don’t worry, at least some of us will uphold your original vampire tale. Stephanie Meyer be damned.

• October 23, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I never heard of him only on that one episode of SpongeBob

• A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit

February 15, 2015 at 9:37 am

I love your movie reviews, especially all the old black and white silent films of the 20’s and classic horrors of the 30’s 🙂
    sadly I cannot seem to locate these on YouTube anymore which is a shame because I miss having them in a play list allowing me to just sit and back and enjoy 🙂 regardless, Thank You very much for all of your work.

• October 13, 2015 at 5:39 am

One of the greatest Movies ever Made!