Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The (1920) History of Horror

Mike Matei / October 1st, 2007

Comments

• April 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Saw this on Netflix Instant Viewing! It has a moody atmosphere that never lets up and it has a good story with a nice twist at the end. Definitely worth checking out!

I do want to note that the Kino DVD has a much better image transfer even though the first 5 minutes of the transfer has a ‘glowy’ look to it. Didn’t know if you have heard of it or own it. Just want to get it out there.

• winstonreggie3

April 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm

a great movie and quite hard to believe no one has remade it

• Harrison Stroak

April 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Actually I just found out that there was an independant remake in 2005 that won awards at horror film conventions or something like that, saw the trailer on youtube and it looks pretty good, just annoyed I can’t find any other footage of it.

• K6CTX

April 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm

@Harrison Stroak

The remake is available on Netflix, as both the physical DVD and through streaming.

• WatchmenFTW

June 24, 2010 at 12:25 pm

This is wierd, like if Tim Burton travelled in time to the 1920s and tried to remake Frankenstein.

• Stormbringer

September 1, 2010 at 11:28 am

Anyone else see the connection between this movie and Rob Zombie’s living dead girl video?

• Quilty

September 12, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I love this movie. Okey, to be honest I love the Expressionist┬┤s movies. From this beauty, that holds for itself great atmosphere, unbelievely outstanding scenes, a killing spread-or sort of-(say hello to the grandpa of slasher), and a twisted ending( that is chilling to name it one way), to the last of this kind M, a talked film that oddly enough has no background music, but it has music a whistle that for sure will stuck in your head after watching the movie; it has no the same style as Das Cabinet, no the expressionist style here is in the characters and in the subject.(both the police and the mob are searching for child murderer, simply that, is great), but lets start with the stuff that made this movie great: the whistle(it is not scary, but once you get to know the reason it start you will feel the thrills), then Peter Lorre as the killer(the killer first is a shadow, then a man in a coat, to resume for almost all the movie he is an inhuman monster, but at the end after his speech you end up feeling pity–as strange this would sound as for me Cesare is the first slasher killer, Hans Beckert is the first next door boy killer, just look at him he looks like he couldnt harm a fly), and then is the fact of not showing the killings(it made the film even better; it is like in Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory you never know what happened with the others four kids) Sorry for the long comment— I am not a troll…

• October 6, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I’ve seen most of the movies you review.. but I don’t own them. -_- !!!!

• McBeeferton

October 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Never realized that this is where Rob Zombie got his scenes for the music video “Living Dead Girl”. Doesn’t follow the plot at all, but there are similar scenes. I never noticed this until now. Should’ve been noted in the video!

• zowen

October 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I was in a theatre class and we were discussing expressionistic theatre and the teacher referenced this movie, and I knew about it because of this review. Thanks Jamses

• zowen

October 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Thanks James I meant to say

• October 19, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Great commentary as usual dude.. Always love your stuff.

• Spongeroberto

October 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm

This is wonderful, thanks for introducing this movie to me!

I find with the older horror movies that the lack of color adds to the creepy atmosphere. I’m also under the impression that the black & white images make the special effects look less fake. The graininess that comes with the age also adds to the quality of the movie.

Looking up these pre-sound era movies, I personally feel something similar: the lack of the sound effects actually ADD to the movie’s quality. it’s just you and the movie’s music track. Other than that, there’s nothing.

These old movies horror movies really are unique…it’s hard to find a modern horror film that relies on suspense and atmosphere rather than resorting to loud noises for cheap scares.

• penpan

August 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

for being one of the first horror and fantasy, it’s so old it looks surreal. I LOVE THIS.

• September 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Well, not to be an echo, but we definitely see where Rob got his art direction from for Living Dead Girl… I figured it had to be some horror movie, thanks James for enlightening us

• derrick554

September 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm

this is one of the first movies we covered in films class, and quite honestly I really liked it. Its old of course but still a good movie.

• derrick554

September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

its also important to note that this film introduced Somnombulism (or in other words, zombie-ism/sleep walker)

• statueofmike

September 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

The bedroom scene with Cesare creeping toward the frozen camera is awesome. Just like a nightmare or “waking nightmare” ala hypnogogia/hypnopompia. See a lot of japanese and korean spirits doing imitations of the jerky movements and odd timing.

• captkiro

September 30, 2011 at 2:23 am

is there a place to watch this in high quality? I’ve seen the film but it was kinda cruddy quality

• punksterdaddy

October 7, 2011 at 7:03 pm

short but sweeeeet!

• December 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

cool

• Sarrells

March 2, 2012 at 1:00 am

You can watch this instantly on Netflix.

I’ve been watching the old flicks with James and Mike’s commentary by playing Netflix with Cinemassacre on the computer. It’s fun.

• June 27, 2013 at 9:18 am

movie is awesome probaly one of my favourite silent movies

• frostare

October 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

Gonna have a marathon with all first episodes of the seven Monster Madness

• SUP3RFLYSAMURA1

July 30, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Ha! I’m doing the exact same thing right now.

• October 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm

That German expressionism is very interesting. I’d like to learn more about it.

• MikamiFan92

October 19, 2013 at 12:40 am

This movie kinda seems like it was ahead of it’s time, it looks great.

• October 28, 2013 at 3:49 am

i have a bauhaus shirt with the famous picture of the monster and the girl on it

• JustinVoorhees

April 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Any chance of the Monster Madness series being released on dvd or at least digital download? I’d love to have these videos playing during my Halloween party this year but it’s just not possible when they’re only available on the website.

• SUP3RFLYSAMURA1

July 30, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Yeah that would b awesome!

• SUP3RFLYSAMURA1

July 30, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I watched it while I was sleepy. That’s definitely how u should watch it cus like james said it’s “Dreamy.” Great atmosphere and mood and backdrops. Crazy twist at the end. A masterpiece back then and 4 ever. This started the genre I love and it started it off right.

• Sean Smith

October 11, 2014 at 9:09 pm

hi

• gone with the vint

November 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I wrote my diploma about the cabinet of doctor caligari. It has so many layers and it was so important, because it influenced so many directors – even Alfred Hitchcock had added, that the took his famous knife-scene from Psycho straight from Dr. Caligari.