AVGN: Nintendo Power

Mike Matei / September 4th, 2007

Watch this video on Youtube

Comments

• April 12, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Been following since the TMNT-review, and this is probably my all time favourite Nerd-video. While not the angriest video ever, it certainly is the one taking me the most “back to the past”. Which is kinda strange, because I never read Nintendo Power(growing up in Norway).
    We had a local magazine(Nintendo Magasinet) that translated many of the articles as well as some of comics from Nintendo Power. It printed many of the same illustrations too, as well as different Nintendo-comics by Valiant. Huge part of my childhood, when we were not playing Nintendo, we were reading about playing Nintendo…

This video came out during the time when I was really down and depressed(work issues), and was one of the few things that managed to really cheer me up. Dunno if it’s just that feeling, or… something else about this video… Love the “flow” and pacing of it. Never stops being interesting. Everything just works. Entertaining from start to finish.

• frstefan

May 28, 2010 at 4:37 am

wow i glad that i dint live in the 1900 years :D

• supermark64

June 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

@frstefan: WTF?

• SmashedSqwurl

June 11, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I’d just like to point out that the actual value for the number of possible Mario Paint images is 1,978,857,121,979,412,650,409,479,276,369,376,248,486,271,424,119,522,704,015,373,027,508,224.

• Rhetticus

June 14, 2010 at 10:32 am

I have a lot of fondness for that Castlevania tune. Doo Doo Doo♫, Doo Doo, Doo Doo Doo, Doo Doo♫. The scene seems to parallel the preview of the 2nd review of Simon’s Quest in which the cartrigde uses the tune to coerce the nerd into playing it.

• kamakazi geek

July 6, 2010 at 8:31 am

i had the power :)

• July 16, 2010 at 8:40 am

We have the same thing in France, they call it “Mega Force” for Sega video game …

I remember a magazin for RPG but in France exepted Final Fantasy and 2 or 3 rpg’s we have nothing …

Anyway, in this video i think at 4.40 there are a music starting, came from StarWing (Star fox in US) sound very good, but i never finish this game :(

• peachdaisy22

July 28, 2010 at 1:05 pm

My brothers have the power. ;)

• September 27, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I think the silver cover was a reference to Back to the Future… I already left that comment once I think but they were all removed.

• phoenix252005

October 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Get the power! I loved that magazine, those were the days..

• October 6, 2010 at 1:26 pm

When he shows the photo taken from the screen, he says that looks like shit, but I think it would look shittier if it was done well… Because it is DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE! Look closely: it is a screenshot from the Nerd’s second video!

• October 6, 2010 at 11:25 pm

We still have one call “Club Nintendo” Here in Mexico.. I used to buy them when I was a kid. now a days It just sucks..

• Xale Manix

October 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm

The giant number (unique images possible in Mario Paint) Is awesome. why?
    because it converts to 1.97885712941×10^69 in scientific notation.
    Which means… yeah, its just funny.

• DarkCrow78

October 15, 2010 at 12:37 am

Umm… I bought this thing so many times, i sometimes read all over again just for fun….And now that i am in mexico ( my natal country) i just have Club nintendo that just sucks…. nowadays.

• supermuffin

October 16, 2010 at 9:57 am

did you know there were also comic books damn, nintendo was everywhere back then. I was born to fukkin early.

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm

AAASSSSSS!!!

Another great Nerd episode. James is to Nintendo Power, where I’m into Star Wars Insider.

I remember the Super Mario Bros. movie being advertised, and was wondering what dope in what pipe they’ve been smoking.

I remember how frustrating getting posters out of my issues of Fox Kids Magazine was.

I can actually see Mario in the magic eye picture.

9:56- Whip Man kinda looka like Backlash from the Marvel Universe.

12:02- I wonder if the person who wrote that letter is a math expert today.

14:04- Man, that image of the Nerd in that issue is hilarious.

• phoenix252005

October 20, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Now you Playing with power,NINTENDO POWER MUTHERFUCKER!!! Long Live th Nerd!!

• November 30, 2010 at 12:54 am

Just play Megaman X6 yesterday. First thing I did was change the dash button to R1.

Why did I do that? Because a Nintendo Power issue featuring a Megaman X game suggested to change the dash button to R to make dashing easier.

I have since followed that advice for every single Megaman X game I have EVER played (Even the Zero GBA series and soon ZX/ZX Advent on the DS).

• Kio studios

December 26, 2010 at 10:06 pm

AWW i kind of wanted to see the picture you taped p because it wa dicusting : (

• pobO

December 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm

awesome episode!
    kyle justin is great too =)

• January 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched this episode. It’s easily my favourite, brings back so many memories of gaming in the 90s and my obsessive dedication to gaming magazines in the old days.

• edgeblade

June 11, 2011 at 12:23 am

I know this an older video, but a friend of mine posted a link to it and I decided to re-watch it. I actually liked the cards they included in the mid 90s. The purpose behind them was related to the Super Power Club and Power Stamps (a pre-cursor to the modern Club Nintendo). They also served somewhat as a predecessor to the concepts behind trophies/achievements in modern gaming. The back of the cards featured challenges that you could try to accomplish. I don’t believe there were any contests involving completing all of them or anything like that, more of a self-accomplishment type deal. It’d be cool if they re-released the old ones since I’ve long since lost all of mine and/or if they released a whole new series. If they were to come out with an achievement system, they could even tie the two together.

• trojan12kelley

June 13, 2011 at 12:43 am

I never had a subscription to Nintendo Power, but I would sometimes get a free issue through mail, or one of my friends would give me one. I have to say, it’s a pretty good magazine, but I preferred the ones that covered every platform, i.e. Electronic Gaming Monthly and GamePro. A couple of NP posters are on my wall (Metroid and Mario)

• June 21, 2011 at 1:35 am

And about the number of possible images in Mario Paint

Most of the possibilities will be images of static, and out of the meaningful ones, most will be just mirrored or filtered (or inverted etc…) versions of other images.

So, only a small fraction of them will be actually meaningful.

• June 25, 2011 at 12:37 am

@SmashedSqwurl

Uh… thanks, Smashedsqwurl, that’s cernainly some useful information…

@Ash59

Mega Force?? It was named like that because the good guys always win? even in the ’80?

Btw… if you showed the granny with the shit plate and a used barf bag…. WTF is in the stappled magazine!?

No.. You know what? I don’t want to know.

• June 25, 2011 at 12:41 am

@SpeedyEric

“””13:54- I’ve seen every episode of “Friends,” and I NEVER saw that specific episode. “””

I swear i watched it the same day “The Mask II” was released. My friend was an extra in that movie.

• Link31254

August 5, 2011 at 1:06 am

this episode made me renew my nintendo power subscribtion

• DarkChaosXX

August 12, 2011 at 1:20 am

I lvoe Nintendo Power, i just wish they would go back to the old way, with the game tips and cheats. I feel like one of the luckyest people cause i live across the water from Nintendo HQ, Well not my house, but my town is.

• CardingtonLZF

August 18, 2011 at 3:38 am

That picture at 8:34 is just Mario’s face looking straight at the viewer. Just the head. Like this: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100703190316/uncyclopedia/images/archive/5/5b/20100704101926!Mario_head.gif

• TheNewTeddy

September 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm

For the record, that is nearly 2 duovigintillion. I googled it.

• Hellder7

November 16, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I guess the answer of Nintendo Power about your question Mike would be…”If you don’t like it, then kill yourself!”… or something like that. They already got a huge tons of fans so… one or less don’t really bother them. (Don’t kill yourself though, you make some pretty amazing review from games I never played and I like all of them xD!)

• TakeruDavis

November 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

who recognized moon(tune from duck tales)?

• KeithEllwood

December 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm

HAHA! I remember the time spent carefully removing those posters

• kvbringablog

December 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm

“What’s Dracula’s problem?”

HAHAHAHA, that face is hilarious! :D

• davidsworld3

December 9, 2011 at 1:33 am

ahhh yes one of my early episodes I watched when I found out about this series, a great vid one of my favorites!

• davidsworld3

December 9, 2011 at 1:33 am

another thing I remember my very first nintendo power and that was the super mario 64 official guide I was so excited! Helped me a great deal as well.

• January 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

I will never give up Megaman X, to this day, i have been holding on to it since 98.

• RyanSanders

March 24, 2012 at 6:33 am

@ninjakio I got the poster off ebay in basically mint condition. it says in the folded page form, inside a cardboard sleeve for protection. I just need to get X2 and X3

• Voltron1110

January 14, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I love the Boogerman poster!!!

• JeremyJones

January 20, 2012 at 8:52 am

My very first one I think was the Simion’s Quest guide issue. I may be wrong but it was a long time ago lol.

• DrewBeyer

January 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

does anyone know what issue had the NES controller overlay decals in it? I just picked up issues 2-55 at a thrift store for $10 with all posters intact!!!! I want those decals!!

• Fracassi

February 18, 2012 at 10:07 am

@DrewBeyer

Nice buy!

• January 31, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I tried the magick eye on this video, I did see mario.

• kingofthecloset

February 12, 2012 at 12:56 am

I remember I made a lot of DIY pogs from some of those issues. What a waste. Ah those days walking home from school and seeing the mailbox lid stick up just a little more than usual because there was a new magazine in there…

• abyssman1313

February 25, 2012 at 3:20 am

ASS!

• kryjin

March 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

James, Mike, and Kyle, you guys always make my day :)

• binaryfruit

June 30, 2012 at 1:57 am

“This one gave kids nightmares and made parents complain. I thought it was awesome.” I love it.

• DaDulas

August 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm

RIP Nintendo Power. I can’t help to think this was a coincidence that the Nintendo Power AVGN was in the quick links on the side.

• August 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I remember when this video came out! I remember remembering Nintendo Power while watching it and bathing in the nostalgia. Now I know I will one day remember remembering watching this video and remember remembering nintendo power while remembering that I left this comment. Brain pain…

• DaDulas

August 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Found this. How is Top Gun so high?

• buum

August 21, 2012 at 10:26 pm

rip Nintendo power, you’ll be missed but never forgotten

• yomommaisWIDE

August 21, 2012 at 10:36 pm

hey bumm nintendo power still exist ,but over the years it has turned to shit , so technically i guess it is dead

• ObSoLeTe

August 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm

• mistahtom

August 22, 2012 at 12:10 am

Show the ad you stapled shit err….I mean shut.

• Johnthegamer

August 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm

You’ve got the power Nintendo Power, rest in peace Nintendo Power. I will always remember you fondly.

• avgnfan

September 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Man, speaking of the mario movie, ever since then they seem to all suck. The only one close to being decent was Mortal Kombat. Now hollywood’s making Halo the movie. It might suck. Yet I checked its imdb page and it does look promising. Yet all video game movies look promising.

• Makusu

October 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm

We should go rape some ponies!!

• Makusu

October 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I regret typing in my last comment.

• fantasticfink

January 14, 2013 at 6:01 am

RIP Nintendo Power :’(

• crazygamer4life

January 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Awesome episode as always.. but why does everyone hat e the Super Mario Bros. movie? I saw it in theaters as a kid and had it on VHS as well.. i even got it on DVD a few years ago and it’s just as good as when i saw it in elementary school. Maybe it’s cause i didn’t know too much about Mario besides the cartoons back then, but i say long live the Super Mario Bros. movie. it was good, and know others who thought the same. Oh and R.I.P Mr Dennis Hopper, A.K.A. King Koopa

• nairod

March 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Not sure if someone said it earlier in these comments cause I didn’t bother reading all of them, but the magic eye picture in the video shows Mario’s face. You can see the “M” coming out of his hat.

There’s the twin picture of Luigi right here :

• damon

March 4, 2013 at 9:50 pm

This is by far my favorite episode. Nintendo power was quirky, funny, and interesting. Those jokes were corny though.
    RIP, NP. You will be missed.

• March 12, 2013 at 4:51 am

I haven’t opened the last 3 issues… I can’t bare to seem them. It is so sad. I was worried when NP was purchased by Future US… but never did I see this coming… although I should have. I’m 25 and when I would ask anyone my age if they read the new NP.. they would laugh and say something like “wow, thats still around?” RIP NP

• May 1, 2013 at 3:25 am

some of the last mags i remember was the one with that booger guy and another one with secret of the evermore, oh and also the first Turok game.

• Vernon Schaal

January 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm

The “get the power” song on avgn is my favorite, it most catchy one of them all.

• Justin Middleton

March 14, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I loved NP, got some issues from the last two years of publishing. My dad actually has some old issues in a box with some other game magazines, still read em for the old comics and codes.

• Aaron1375

June 18, 2014 at 12:21 am

I remember Nintendo did have a free newsletter at first. It was a small magazine and wasn’t quite as useful, but it was free. Then they gave those of us who were subscribers to that the first issue of Nintendo Power free. I had a subscription for a year of Nintendo Power.