AVGN: Sega CD

Mike Matei / May 2nd, 2007

Watch this video on Youtube

Episode notes by Mike Matei:
- In episode 25 “Sega CD” AVGN reviews an assortment of games including: Ground Zero: Texas, Slam City with Scottie Pippen, Double Switch, Night Trap, Corpse Killer, Time Gal, Lethal Enforcers, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, Road Avenger, Jurassic Park, Prize Fighter, Sol-Feace, The Terminator, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, Dracula Unleashed, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Wonder Dog, Sewer Shark, Sonic CD
- This episode contains the full-length version of the theme song.

Funny Quotes:
AVGN: Willy Beamish. Okay, in this game, you’re a kid in detention. First it’s just like watching a cartoon for five minutes. Then an arrow appears and you’re like “Oh my God, I get to do something?” So you just point and click at things.
Willy: Man, I’m so bored, I can’t stand it.
AVGN: I know, I’m f#@king bored. The teacher talks to you. You come up with answers. Should I say “Oh that was my frog Horny.”? …The frog’s name is Horny?!

Comments

• frstefan

April 8, 2010 at 3:51 am

sega cd? sega shit! i really understand why sega lost the bit wars where they to lazy to make more alone consoles? anyway i think if sega won thw wars oh boy, i would not live with any consoles than the playstation!

• shipman96

April 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm

man i here ya frstefan but theres someone on youtube that edited this episode so it sounds like james is ripping on nintendo

• frstefan

April 12, 2010 at 1:44 am

lol i never heard something like that you just said there shipman!

• JE3MAN

April 21, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I gotta say
    After all that time, this is still my favorite episode for some reason
    I remember growing up in the 90s during the video game war
    And still to this day, even though they have been out of the console production business, I’m fascinated by the various Sega consoles

Though I have played a little bit of most of these consoles I do not own any of them at the moment

It would be nice to eventually see a review of bad Saturn or even Dreamcast games for a change

They are mostly 10 years-old so that makes them pretty old in a way

• videogamehunter

April 28, 2010 at 12:16 am

I grew up owning a sega genesis. In my opinion. I think sega would of beaten snes if wasn’t for the add ons.

• frstefan

April 29, 2010 at 1:46 am

why is this the only episode where you can hear the FULL theme song?

• 8bitdude

May 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm

i remeber having one of these when i was a kid. the game that i had were night trap,wonder dog,sewer shark corpse killer,earthworm jim and mighty morphin power rangers couldnt it just have been its own system and couldnt it have faster load times like dreamcast ,gamecube, ps2 and xbox

• May 14, 2010 at 6:08 am

Why would a console of that age have the loading times of a PS2? People need to think before commenting..

• frstefan

May 28, 2010 at 4:39 am

wow natostan your right! the loading time for a PS2 is just as long as this peice of crappy dogshit! wtf was wrong with sony by making the PS2 loading time behing so long as this but the first PS console is way faster wtf?!

• TigerFern

June 3, 2010 at 9:09 am

Haha I think this is my favourite review.

HEY
    hey
    HI
    hi
    MY NAME IS EDDY
    hi eddy.

That bit makes me laugh like a looney XD

• Squall85

June 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Sonic was the best it’s understandable. The best games on Wii are made by Nintendo, they know the hardware best and can make the best out of it.

• supermark64

June 8, 2010 at 8:32 am

XD

• kamakazi geek

July 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm

i love the full theme tune :)

• kamakazi geek

July 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

it fucking sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SaveGame

September 12, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I’m surprised that SEGA still makes consles. Although you cant take them home or buy them at Wal-Mart. I guess they were tired of being compared to nintendo so they decided to go to arcade games but now they’re being compared to Konimi and other arcade game makers. And Most of the arcade games I see by SEGA are 16 or 32 bit

• metal0737

September 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm

The sega CD is a symbiote!

• DarkCrow78

October 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Oh yeah i had this piece of junk, good thing i was an 8 year old and i just sold this piece of anal fudge to buy a super nintendo. one of my best decitions ive ever made.

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm

The Sega CD WAS revolutionary for the time, espesially with the games of today. Thank God games today don’t put in full-motion videos, but the awesome cinematics.

If anyone’s interested in Seeing a full review on “Sewer Shark,” Go check out Spoony’s review on TheSpoonyExperiment.com.

• phoenix252005

October 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

HEy I actually have to disagree this ONE time with you on this. MY parents got me the sega cd when it first came out and some of the games are actually good,like Snatcher. As for the whole night trap game,I prefer Double Switch,its like an improved version of night trap and its actually the first sega cd game I ever beat. Other than that alot of the other games suck asshole. Go nerd!!

• phoenix252005

October 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I actually remember some of the last FMV games. They were for the Playstation. The name of one excapes me but it was about this funny guy who was a secret agent,kinda like James Bond if it were a comedy,and of course The FMV X-files game. That was actually a pretty good game,except that you cant even play as Mulder or Scully! Still good though,crazy X-Files story too. Check em out! If you DARE moohwa-ha-ha-ha!!

• phoenix252005

October 20, 2010 at 8:37 pm

As crazy as it sounds it would be shitballs crazy to see an FMV game for the next-gen consoles. HOw funny would that be huh? huh? lol

• jemount

November 21, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I had a Sega CD. It was one of the biggest let-downs in my life…. Until I played Sonic CD and a shooter called Silpheed. I was surprised James didn’t cover Silpheed in his review since it was one of the few games Sega CD had that was actually decent. If you haven’t seen it, check it out.

~”Shoot the tubes, dogmeat!”

• Kaj

December 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Full song ^^

• Gigou

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Why don’t the weapons do anythiiinnnggg… :D

• nviso209

February 13, 2011 at 2:59 am

I noticed and played some Sega CD in 1993-1994 though I never owned one. Rented one and was not impressed but a friend came over in 1994 w/ a 3DO and I was blown away! Then I got a PS1 in mid-1997 and the CD was a new drug until DVDs came along! YAY BOO FMVs!

• March 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I have many classic game consoles. I love every one, and the sega cd is no exeption! I never had one as a kid but i have one now. For how cheap they are today. I would buy one if only to play sonic cd, which is one of the greatest sonic games of all time!

• damon

April 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm

dude, i played sonic cd. It’s the shit! the ability to time travel is awesome!

• Hannabella

June 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm

At 5:57 I just noticed the girl looks like Lisa from The Room. YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA

• [email protected]

June 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm

AH-3 Thunderstrike was one of the best games ever on sega. It made sega cd worth it to me.

• jac171

July 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

GOD DAMN YOU, ON THE BORDER AD!!!!!!!! GODDAMN YOU BLIP.TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jarnor23

August 14, 2011 at 1:32 am

Willy Beamish was worth the effort if you played it. It was like the King’s Quest series, plot + puzzles, only this one was subversive humor through a kid’s eye. That one’s worth playing. We had one of those combo units when they made a Sega CD that had a Genesis slot later on in the life of the console. It was pretty sweet for the time. Many of the FMV games were crap in retrospect but just seeing those graphics at the time were amazing.

• mxc82

September 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm

What he said about the ship of wonder dog made me think of austin powers 2 because of dr. evil’s spaceship.

• EliteDeath

September 7, 2011 at 1:01 am

I wonder if he’ll ever go back and review Corpse Killer

• christburner

September 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

because it fuckin suc..cause it fuckin . cause it fuckin.. cause it fuckin sucks..

HAHAHHAAH seriously James every fuckin time. :D

• ljngamessuck

September 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm

best thing on the internet by far!!!

• cheetingfuckingGAME

October 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

no yr name is core haim not eddie

• November 9, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Actually I own the Sega CD! I got it when I was about 7 and it was a total waste of money. I had very few games for it and I kinda liked Brutal – Paws of Fury, which I finished more than once. I unlocked almost every belt, except for the Master Belt, because the last boss in the Master Belt challenge was impossible!

• ChristopherD.McNaughton

November 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I recall playing ‘Sewer Shark’, what a horrible, abhorrent, ghastly experience that was…couldn’t even beat the first level, mind you I was like 9 or something. I don’t recall owning many games for that particular machine, the only one I wanted was WWF: Rage in The Cage, I even traveled to the States to find it, no such luck. An absolute waste of money.

• ChristopherD.McNaughton

November 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I recall playing ‘Sewer Shark’, what a horrible, abhorrent and ghastly experince that was…couldn’t even beat the first level, mind you I was roughly 9 or something. I don’t recall owning many titles for that particular machine, the only one I wanted was WWF: Rage in the Cage, I even traveled as far The United States to find It, no such luck. An absolute waste of money.

• KuhBoose24

November 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

BEST INTRO EVER!

• Gun39610

November 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm

If there is AVGN game, I would so play it!!!

• Killspre

January 16, 2012 at 8:55 pm

@Gun39610 There are games under fan stuff

• Killspre

January 16, 2012 at 8:55 pm

@Gun39610 There are games under fan stuff

• phoenix252005

December 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I actually was one of the few people that had a Sega CD and I actually l did enjoy it when I was a kid, except for the fact that the damn games were so hard to beat! I would love to see James review like Ground Zero Texas which was my fav game on the sega cd and one of the only games I actually beat on that system or Double switch,the other one I beat lol

• DylanParrott

December 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

my fav ep

• exroh4

December 21, 2011 at 7:57 pm

after seeing this video it was obvious why sega ultimately failed. whoever was running that shindig really oughta get their head checked.

• Arlo

January 10, 2012 at 2:23 am

Load times? Don’t talk to me about load times… I remember waiting an hour for a game to load off of an audio cassette on C64. Actually, I’m sure you do too!

• senna4ever

March 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm

@Arlo I don’t know why people complain about load times back on the C64, Speccy, etc. Yeah you had to wait 10 mins to load a game, but once it was loaded, it was loaded.
      Compare that to games now they load with everything you do. Enter a building, exit the building, load new missions, load cutscenes, etc.
      If you were to add up your average loading from a game now all those little bits would add up to much more then laod times back in the day.

• Frank Black Francis

January 10, 2012 at 11:28 pm

NOTE EVERYTHING WAS SHIT, the sega cd had awesome games: SPIDER-MAN VS THE KINGPIN (THE GOOD EDITION), THE ONLY DECENT FINAL FIGHT VERSION, SONIC CD, BRUTAL PAWNS OF FURY, ETERNAL CHAMPIONS RELOADED, MICKEY MANIA AND BATMAN RETURNS AND YEAH I’VE SEEN HIS REVIEW ON IT AND WHILE THE DRIVING STAGES ARE TERRIBLE, IT ALSO HAD A MODE WHERE YOU MOVE BATMAN AROUND AND OT WAS AWESOME, those were the games i had and those 7 are gems, getting a sega cd was worth it just to play all those 7, but yeah the sega 32 x WAS A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT, NOT EVEN A FUCKING GAME WORTH GETTING ONE, NOT EVEN KNUCKLES CHAOTIX.

• ljngamessuck

January 29, 2012 at 11:07 pm

@Frank Black Francis nope it sucks

• MrBrrumpkins

January 25, 2012 at 12:52 am

The Nerd said he might do full reviews later, nothing yet. I had this shit and would like to see him beat some of the games I played as a kid.

• Piet

January 28, 2012 at 4:49 am

“I dont belive what I just saw!”

“I know – this game sucks!”

so classic :D

• BerzerkerGreg

February 3, 2012 at 8:45 am

I didn’t have too many games on my sega CD as a kid but I did love Sonic cd and also loved to play MK1 on it. Sewer Shark came with it and all I remember is blowing up. I was lucky to experience this though I think. Some how my mom supporting two sons in shitty part of Aberdeen MD was able to get me some nice genesis stuff. She also got me the 32X when it came out. They might have been kinda crappy for older people but I loved it all. Funny thing, as I mentioned I had MK1 on CD but I also had MK2 on 32X and I had MK3 on regular Genesis. I was rocking it all!

• 1CLVico

February 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

YEAH !!! PUNCH EM ! PUNCH EM !!!

• LysanderTheevilmonkey

February 22, 2012 at 10:33 pm

My friends thought this was the best system to come out at the time and they thought Nintendo was for babies.

• Rantsu

March 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Remember those first CD-games for PC? Like, Critical Path.

God DAMN those sucked.

• April 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I happen to own a Sega CD and liked it when I was a kid, despite its annoying loading times. My Mega Drive is the model 1 and I played Sonic all the time back then.

• April 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I never had a 32X though.

• LordVader123

May 19, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Does anyone know where the song at the very end comes from, or what it is?

• Jessyfaulkner

June 17, 2012 at 12:37 am

I just now realized that Eddie, from Double Switch is Corey Haim! Rest In Peace.

• Lancep2012

July 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Most of the best SEGA CD were clones of laser disc based acrdae games. Alot of them have been ported to DVD-Video Players and some have been upgreaded to Blu-ray that’s how I play most on the SEGA CD games today.

• Xase

August 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Stay Classy

• MajickMike

September 13, 2012 at 11:13 pm

The only games I enjoyed from this system were the FMV ones. Night Trap (better on 3DO) and my favorite, Tomcat Alley.

• likalaruku

September 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

There’s a place in Nevada called Boomtown that used to have good quality arcade games that were ported to the Sega CD as low res FMV games.

I love the Taco-Man spoof of Night Trap.

• MajickMike

September 25, 2012 at 12:04 am

I hope they include the full version of the intro song in the movie. I watch this video just to hear it sometimes haha.

“Why can’t a turtle swim? Why can’t I land the plane?…The characters names are wrong. Why’s the password so long?”

All questions I found myself asking when playing those games years ago. Hell, if I couldn’t finish River City Ransom in one sitting, I just said fuck it. Didn’t wanna bother writing down a 30+ character password haha

• Nintendo Man

October 4, 2012 at 7:22 am

This video has a special significance to me. In 2008 I was at an anime convention called “Fanime” that they have annually in San Jose California. It was about 3 AM and I was drunk as shit at the local hotel bar and I was looking for something to do at the convention late at night. As I was walking through the halls I heard some rambling about the Sega CD, which intrigued me because I to own and hate a sega CD. I stuck my head into a projection room and saw this video. This was how I was introduced to the angry video game nerd. ^^

• David Whitton

December 13, 2012 at 6:12 am

I happen to own a Sega Saturn. In my opinion, the Sega Saturn is what the Sega CD should have been in the first place, like it is its own console, the graphics are good and the games are better too.

• Joshua Henry

January 8, 2013 at 1:36 am

AVGN’s youtube is gone! WTF?! I would comment on youtube but there is no video to comment on! F youtube!

• Xavier Bonato

January 24, 2013 at 6:48 pm

First with the full theme

• David Williamson

March 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Fuckin Rats!

• Kuuenbu

March 4, 2013 at 5:41 pm

SHIT SHARK <- Best review ever.

• MrBrrumpkins

April 14, 2013 at 10:38 am

too funny. I was laughing like crazy. Even after watching all episodes multiple times it still gets to me.

• Alexander Howard

May 6, 2013 at 5:35 pm

ive seen almost every video of the nerd hes my favorite thing to watch online he curses like a sailor and plays videogames like a pro i played a sega console once in elementary school i was suspended from school and i had to be at the crappy kindercare i forgot a few games i played but in the mess of games i saw friday the thriteenth i played sonic and a few other games i have a terrible memory to remembering the past but eh avgn knows how to play games and tell it how it is when they suck balls or when they suck gopher terds through a straw and squirt diarhea through their nose

• May 28, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I Fucking hate Sega. The Genesis had terrible sound quality, choppy graphics, and godawful console add ons. Why did anyone like this terrible console, anyway?

• June 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Sega should have just stick to what they good at.
    Master System, MegaDrive, Game Gear, Saturn, and Dreamcast are the only real Sega consoles, the rest sucks-ass.
    You done it again James, good job ranting on this horrible add-on!

• November 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

The pens are for games with password systems

• bulldog2589

December 24, 2013 at 2:34 am

Yes sega cd was a piece of shit but go back and talk about the artwork found in it and yes the one that is apparently signed by the devil

• bulldog2589

December 24, 2013 at 2:36 am

I mean in sonic cd

• December 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm

wow i like it

• December 27, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Willy Beamish was a pretty good point-and-click adventure game on Amiga and PC, can’t imagine how the d-pad control works with pointing and clicking. Also, there were quite a few nice RPG’s for it, usually, though, just a Megadrive/Genesis version with added CD-music, speech and animations. Quite usual for the era, and often quite good. And then there’s Mickey Mania, good platformer, with the CD-based music being excellent. Any system is as good as the games, Mega-CD had some good, some bad, but just not enough.

• pokemario99

February 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I KNEW I DIDN’T MAKE PART OF THE THEME SONG UP!!!

• Kristopher Juarez