AVGN: Ghostbusters Follow-Up

Mike Matei / March 20th, 2007

Watch this video on Youtube

Episode notes by Mike Matei:
- In episode 22 AVGN grades the spelling in Ghostbusters (NES). And talks about Ghostbusters for the Atari 2600 and Sega Master System
- This episode contains the first review of an Atari game.

Funny Quotes:
Let’s play teacher and grade this piece of shit. Since it’s really short, let’s say 10 points off for every error out of a possible 100. So okay, you ready? Here we go. Well, first of all, “Conglaturation !!!” is spelled wrong, but it’s not even a simple typo. Two letters in two different places are wrong which probably means they really didn’t know how to spell it. So that’s 20 points off for that just because it’s such an atrocious misspelling. But then why isn’t it plural? You don’t usually say “Congratulation.”, you say “Congratulations”. So technically it’s got nothing to do with the spelling, it’s a different error altogether. So that’s another ten points for that. Then, “You have completed a great game.”!? Well that’s just simply wrong, 20 points for that statement.

Comments

• May 14, 2010 at 5:56 am

Sweet, I liked how you recapped the last game at the start. The SEGA version looked a lot more fun.

• supermark64

June 8, 2010 at 7:43 am

sure, the sms version sucked, but after playing the nes version, its awsome!

• kamakazi geek

July 4, 2010 at 8:27 am

i hate the spelling mistakes in games. fortunately that doesn’t happen anymore because effort is put into games now :)

• venom 51007

August 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm

hey james have u ever thought of fomatting this to DVD cause this show is balls to the wall comedic show its…ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Syph

August 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Um… There is a link to this on the very site you’re on :)

• HawkeyeAVGNfan

August 29, 2010 at 5:15 am

If there’s a shitty game in the neighborhood
    who you gonna call?
    Video game nerd!!!!
    man you rock

• venom 51007

September 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm

thanks so much for pointing that out to me *syph* i owe u one big time.

• September 12, 2010 at 12:44 am

It’s probably already been mentioned by someone, but I just now found out about it: New Ghostbusters 2. It’s a PAL NES GB game and it’s actually pretty good(so far).

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Gorza? The Zuul? Haven’t these game designers ever paid attention to the movie on which they’re basing thier games off of?

• phoenix252005

October 20, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Wow,how pathetic is it that the Atari version of Ghostbusters is way better than the Nintendo version?!? What kind of fucked up world do we live in!!!! WHY CRUEL WORLD, WHY????

• handsome pete

May 27, 2011 at 4:38 pm

1. In the map stage, make it so there’s no music, and you control only an arrow, so the driving makes sense.
    2. In one of the stages (the Gozer stage would be the easiest probably), make one of the ghostbusters black.
    3. Turn the money into plutonium or something, so it’s not like you’re buying ghostbusting stuff from a store.

• August 27, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I know this review was done up in 2007, and most people who have a Sega Master System (including James) probably already know this, but I thought I’d put this out for those who may not know. The Ghostbusters for the Sega Master System is the best by far, so let’s put that to the side.

First up are the little dots (shit as James to it) that come out of the Ghostbusters’ emblem while you run around waiting for a building to flash. Those are dot markers that add up your miles or “kilometers” as indicated in the driving scene. The more dots you put down, the longer a ride you have to get to the scene where you zap ghosts. If you go too long the ghosts will sometimes leave and go to another building. I guess they get bored waiting to be captured so they leave. Who knows really why; I don’t think this was something available on the NES or Atari. It was on the Commodore 64 and that’s what I think Sega based theirs off of. So that is a downfall of the game as far as I am concerned. I really don’t know why there was the whole idea of really running a business in any of the games. I guess they were trying to educate kids on how to run a business wisely.

Next is the two people walking around on the main level. That, I believe, is Dana and Lewis. If you run them over they will steal your money. You can run over the ghosts, they will freeze in motion when you do, but stay away from Dana and Lewis.

Now for the stairwell area. If you use button number 2 you can shoot straight. Now I’m not blaming James for not pointing that out. For the majority of the game you use only button 1 and rarely use 2. So when you get to the stairwell area you think you can use your direction pad to aim. Well that’s not true. I actually didn’t discover the 2’s use until after the review, and for the record I have own the game since it came out in 1987, so that’s 20 years of playing the game and not knowing. So thank you James for making me explore the controls better. Once you get to the top you fight Gozer she doesn’t stand still. Gozer moves all around shooting crazily at you like they’re high on a pound of sugar and were just given a paintball gun.

And finally for the reason why Winston isn’t in the original Ghostbusters games. For the record, again, this is my opinion. I believe the reason why Winston was left out is because for one, no one saw the movie before making the game, and for two the poster they were given only showed the original three. If they were given a trailer Winston was excluded or not made out clearly enough to be a member of the Ghostbusters. So they went on making the game thinking there were only three Ghostbusters. That’s what I think anyway. That or they’re racist. I prefer my thoughts though on why they left him out, not on the maybe there was a chance they hate black people.

• FetzidielustigeLandmine

November 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm

0% for the Game 100% for the Video im from Germany and i know that the text is wrong^^

• December 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

America missed New Ghostbusters II for the NES, i played it as a kid and i liked it a lot! it is PAL version, try it out James!

• Mistertoast

January 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

@Fei Wong

But he has NTSC.

• Piet

January 27, 2012 at 6:44 am

@Mistertoast @Fei Wong So what? He also have a toploader. And If mine could play european, us and jap games I´m pretty sure James´ can do the same…

• January 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I’m honored to be fallowed by screwattack on twitter. Guess games are my calling….mayby. I only have one review I was apart of, but arkham city sucked ass!!!111

• Hugoso

February 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I must desagree with what was said about the gameplay. Byuing stuff obviously is a great part of the gameplay. Most great games have it!

• Macmeister

February 25, 2012 at 9:30 am

I thought this game looked pretty good until I saw the Zuul house. >_<

• AxleTheDark

February 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

ZUUL!

• DraculaAlucard1

March 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

The black dots are so uk where you’ve been

• DrBreakfastMachine

March 31, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I just noticed that in this intro he holds up the SNES Wayne’s World game…two years before he finally reviewed it.

• DrBreakfastMachine

March 31, 2012 at 9:49 pm

When you were grading the atrocious ending screen, you forgot to mention the spaces between the last words of the first and last sentences and the exclamation marks. So really they scored a negative 10%

• DrBreakfastMachine

March 31, 2012 at 9:50 pm

When you were grading the atrocious ending screen, you forgot to mention the spaces between the last words of the first and last sentences and the exclamation marks. So really they scored a negative 20%

• likalaruku

April 7, 2012 at 2:36 am

I read that the driving part of the game s actually a completely different unrelated game they decided to slap in.

Wow, the Atari one…forgot how bad that was. It’s a runner up with ET for ugliest design if not flat out the winner.

• June 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Funny. I could shoot strait and up on the stairs when I played the Sega Master System version.

• Iron65

November 17, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Really James & mike, these games are far worst than ET.. the main reason, is that you expect a great game based on the movie, such as the new one. But no! even we see how mediocre the programmers were by not doing the NES version as equally from the Master system! it looks like they have problems with it so for timing problems they release it in a shittier way… Sound familiar huh? And sorry for my english :(, I’m a spanish native speaker so I don’t have a perfect english :p

• David Whitton

December 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm

The Ghostbusters theme song 8-bit rendition on the Sega Master System seems like a fun version of the song.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

Well, strangely I’m glad to learn that the game actually WAS an Atari game as that was the first thing I thought of upon seeing the review for the NES version. So they just took the same game and lazily ported to a load of other systems with only minor improvements each time?

At least you don’t expect much from an Atari game, so having it suck badly isn’t such a shock, but the other platforms are capable of way more than an ugly grid with a floating logo, a terrible driving sequence and some infinite stairs of doom. So when you play it on those… well, I find terrible games scarier than ghosts.

• July 16, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I just watched Paul Mccartney make me feel bad about slaughter houses ….. Cause of Advertisements Q_Q

• Aaron1375

June 2, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I so want a Master System! Hard to get one of them these days though. A lot easier and cheaper to get the Genesis.