AVGN: Back To The Future

Mike Matei / July 29th, 2006

Watch this video on Youtube

Episode notes by Mike Matei:
– For Episode 6 the Nerd takes a look at the Back to the Future (NES) as well as BTTF 2 & 3 (NES).
– A clip from this episode appeared on a Viral Video special on MTV in September 2006.
– I remember Kevin Finn who played the Glitch Gremlin was around when James recorded this episode. We had a funny conversation about the game. You know how Marty just walks down the street in the game? What does that have to do with Back to the Future right? Well, I said “They might as well call the game Joe goes down the road”. Because really, walking down the street has nothing to do with back to the future, but that’s basically all that happens.

Comments

• BuchNasty

April 8, 2010 at 11:47 am

Yo james hopefully you catch this comment. I’ve been watching your vids since the first batman review. Long time fan, but not digging the new lay out so much. Usually i’ll listen to your vids while I’m playing a pc game but this new layout is kind of a pain to deal with especially since the older videos of that year come up first.

• April 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Haha putting the game in a toaster was great

• April 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

Who would’ve thought that some the ranting things you said in the video ends up as part of the AVGN theme, and I’m sure some of you know what I’m talking about!

• rossbosstx

May 22, 2010 at 12:56 am

this was the first avgn i saw years ago. i was dressing up as marty 4 holloween and my brother told me to watch 1.21 gigawatts.from there i saw the link to youtube and the awsomeness was born .ive been a loyal fan since and even went 2 sgc just to meet him. james if your reading this i was the one that gave you redneck zombies. i will continue to visit the site everyday 2 see what’s new and allways show others your amazing work. thank you again 4 feeling our pain with those games.-ross

• May 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm

ljn the kiss of death

• bigtrav01

June 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I read something terrible today James. There are making another Back to the Future game, when it is due out I’m not sure, lets just hope it isn’t as bad as these are……

• skinnyvinny3

June 9, 2010 at 2:34 pm

OMG James there making a NEW Back To The Future GAME!

• kamakazi geek

July 1, 2010 at 1:43 pm

i fucking love the movies but these games are horse rapers

• hell

July 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm

its time to go back to the future and i know just the way to do it it just so happens i know how to get there just come with me here and see for your self’s hahahaha. >:D

• Maxwell

July 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Someone on YouTube posted a video that shows that the seemingly random music in this game is actually a really fast version of Power of Love from the movie. In the video they slowed it down and matched it to the actual song.

Pretty interesting:

• SaveGame

August 27, 2010 at 9:11 pm

LOL, Ironically I’m watching Back To The Future on [email protected] It’s fuckin hilarious. I’m only 11, this is EPIC!!!!!

• nintenkid78

September 24, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Oh God, don’t let the blue bird get ya! lol
    Love all the movie clips that blend into the review. And some lyrics to the AVGN them song come from this review – good choices, quintessential nerd quotes.

• nintenkid78

September 24, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I meant theme .

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm

The Back to the Future trilogy is one of my favorite film series of all time, and as usual, LJN has to think of ways to ruin that for me. Laughing Joking Numbnuts indead.

I played a little of these games online, and I find the sequel game as the most criptic of the whole NES library.

It’s games like these that make every other movie based game the most average or most despised video games of existance.

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Oh, I almost forgot. I wonder if the end of this episode is where Richard was inspired to make the Nintoaster.

• metal0737

January 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Great Movie, Lousy Game!!!!!!!!!!!

• January 12, 2011 at 9:22 am

Just found the commercial for this “game”!

Still a piece of garbage but hey,
    they were not lying. This game kills you! 😉

• ninja1

February 28, 2011 at 3:33 am

i played this game back when my NES still worked. it was a piece of shit, but i was really young so i didn’t care. seeing it here makes me realise how shit it really was. love your reviews james, but make more monster madness vids, their awesome

• ben 10 guy

May 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

did u know that chrispin Glover was younger than michael j fox in back to the future

• marvelis

June 23, 2011 at 3:33 am

Classic diarrhea dump.

• BobJohnson

June 23, 2011 at 8:13 am

Idea, in your movie you go 4 years into the future, find a shitty game almanac go back to the eighties and give it to your younger self.

• MudBone

September 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm

i jus bought this game for fun bhut now i fuckin hate it

• Anthony33

September 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Kind of a cool coincidence that you end up putting the game in a toaster and then later end up with the Nintendo Toaster or the Nintoaster.

• gamon112

October 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

Haha I remember playing this as a kid. Never thought I would see it reviewed as an adult 😉

Grepolis cheats

• senna4ever

November 26, 2011 at 8:51 am

There still has yet to be a good BttF game, yes I’m including the recent (and terrible) Telltale attempt.

How can this be so hard to mess up?

Give the rights to Rockstar and let them create an open world Hill Vallley to play in with various timelines to explore.

Follow the story of the movies, or create your own adventure with the exisitng characters.

BttF NEEDS a good game.

As a side note: Notice now The Nerd swears he’ll never play this game again and would rahter eat out the rotten asshole of a roadkill skunk…then does a revisit years later?

I believe The Nerd owes us some rotten asshole of a roadkill skunk eating.

• MrBrrumpkins

January 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Rockstar would be nice, or what about BioWare, they make good story-driven games and could go with alternate game files.

• Jordanv78

January 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm

@senna4ever The Super Famicom game was pretty cool.

• Isaiah Fuller

April 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm

[email protected] I think Telltale did a rather good job, sir.

• TTNOBLE77

November 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

Awesome

• AVGN Lover

December 10, 2011 at 9:37 am

love this

• MudBone

January 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

this game is fuckin horrible

• Jordanv78

January 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

“Just leave me alone, I’m trying to collect clocks” One of my favorite Nerd lines ever. This music will haunt you for the rest of your life. I think it should be used to interrogate prisoners.

• January 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm

BEES….MY GOD!!11

• Suuki

January 31, 2012 at 9:36 am

That shirt…

• StephenKing

February 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Again I LOVE the movies and I consider this Trilogy to maybe be the BEST trilogy of ALL time. Well it’s a different story for the games but the PS3 one is a ok point and click game. Best game in this series so far.

This was probably the best AVGN episode of the 6 first at least 😉

• Rantsu

February 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm

If I had to choose best episode ever made, this is it.

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

I wont even touch this game!

Xbox Live Gold Membership (12 months) now available on G-Jays Productions: Game Zone!

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

Visit G-Jays Productions at http://g-jays.blogspot.com/2012/02/g-jays-gameone.html

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

The movie is too good to deserve this!

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

• MEDICgamer

February 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I think this is the episode where he starting being more like he is currently.

• Senna4ever

April 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

@ Jordanv78 No, it was not pretty cool. It was just not as bad as the others. But it was still shit.

@Isaiah Fuller In what way? It was a point n’ click adventure where every puzzle is spelt out to you. No challenge, no puzzles. All they did was create an interactive cartoon…not a game.
    It’s more fun to watch than play.

• Jessyfaulkner

May 10, 2012 at 12:41 am

I actually owned this game once upon a time. Actually 4 games James reviewed I had when I was a kid: BttF, TMNT, Friday the 13th and Fester’s Quest. They all were frustrating! I’m glad that now this is acknowledged.

• Mad Gamer xD

May 24, 2012 at 7:53 am

ive seen all the Bck to the future movies and those game are nothing close

the worst part is i heard there remaking the movies with justin beiber in them, only a braindead highschool girl would like that movie not trying to be mean or rude thats just my opinion.

any highschooler can be dumb

• Lucky

May 29, 2012 at 9:52 am

Is that the same toaster that will become the Nintoaster in the future?

• Aaron1375

June 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm

@mad gamer xd
    Please tell me you are joking about a back to the future remake with Justin Bieber. I have had to suffer so many horrible teenie movies lately that I just could not handle seeing a classic shat upon in such a horrid way.

• David Whitton

November 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Fuck LJN. It’s a good thing that stopped functioning in 1994 but the sad thing thing is that their games are still sold like Gametraders from where I come from and some pawnshops.

• Super-Telecom

December 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Fuck me… And people thought the hit detection was bullshit in CSS?

• William Hudson

June 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

so many quotes that became the classic them tune.

love the films but the games look really bad. classic AVGN at its best.

great video

• July 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Now you’re playing with power, motherfucker! The power of SHIT! Fuck LJN and everything they made! Whenever I see an LJN game cartridge, I want to get as far away from it as fucking possible, like it’s filled with Anthrax infested used condoms! I’d rather shove David Hasselhoff Music Videos up my ass than even touch a single LJN cartridge! They are pure diabolical digital torture! *bashes head into brick wall*

• James Wilder

October 8, 2013 at 5:39 am

I’m going to have sex with a road kill skunk and down its flesh with my own semen,

• taykel

July 3, 2015 at 6:32 am

Thank god I never played this game as a kid.

• July 3, 2015 at 6:53 am

Nerd: And do you know what’s worse? You know what’s, what’s really worse? Guess what? There’s a sequel!

Marty: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    That part gets me laughing every time!