AVGN: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Mike Matei / June 29th, 2006

Watch this video on Youtube

Episode notes by Mike:
Episode 5 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) is where the series really took off and it became an internet phenomenon. This was the first episode to premiere on ScrewAttack.com. (From episode 5 to episode 19 they appeared first on ScrewAttack, and then hit Youtube a week later.)
For this one I remember playing the game with James, though this time we got the footage to appear larger on the TV instead of having to record it on the small LCD screen like the Roger Rabbit episode.
James and I used to play this game in college, and since I was pretty good at the game, he had me help record the gameplay footage. Though we ended up quitting before we got to the Technodrome. I knew I had beaten this game in the past, so it confused me for quite a while why we decided to give up.
But later on, I was playing this game again and realized why we quit. I did a video called “TMNT Technodrome Trick” and while playing, I learned that the man hole covers that take yo to the Technodrome are random. Meaning any one of them could take you there. And when we played the game back in 2006 for this episode, we kept going to the same manhole. And that’s why we never found the Technodrome. That was always a regret of ours that we didn’t show the Technodrome. And it’s why we went back and showed it for Episode 94.
Also, for whatever reason, I also decided to make a title drawing for this video while James was editing it. So this is the first episode to have one of my title cards.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are also known as 忍者神龟, Les Tortues Ninja, Tartarughe Ninja, 忍者タートルズ AKA ティーンエイジ・ミュータント・ニンジャ・タートルズ, Черепашки-ниндзя AKA Подростки-мутанты-ниндзя-черепашки, Las Tortugas Ninja

Comments

• korpsegrynder

April 11, 2010 at 12:34 am

i used to rent this one as a kid. thought it was great as a kid. (partly because i dug the tmnt cartoons anyway, but looking at it now, i cant see why i dug it. the tmnt turtles in time game, and the arcade turtles games were wayyy better.

• April 13, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Having the turtle die in water was possibly one of the dumbest things they could have done..

• TheMarkness

April 24, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I honestly thought this was the best TMNT game in the entire franchise. I never understood why people had a problem with this game, until I watched James’ review. I still like it, I’m always drumming the intro on my desk when I’m waiting for something(like a loading screen, or a download to finish)it’s one of the catchiest beats I’ve ever heard.

• asshole13

May 7, 2010 at 8:12 am

This drives me nuts everytime I see it. The stupidest part about being able to die in the water, is the fact that you swim in it durring one of the stages aswell. Like, WTF!?! Either water kills you or it dosn’t!
    It all could have been avoided had they left the bottom of the screen black. like a hole.

I was hoping that James would have had something to say about that. Still my favorite episode I think.

• May 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I own this game. Back when I was a kid I used to play it all the time. Got so good that when you have to disarm the bombs in the water i wouldn’t get hit by anything. But on a sad note I never beat it. It still haunt’s me.

• TurtleTitan

May 31, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I have to disagree with the nerd. Though the game is frustrating, I did not hate the game. I own it on the NES and the Wii VC. Even as a kid I enjoyed the game. The lack of enemies from the Turtles cartoon did not bother me. I do agree the difficulty for a kids game was a little high.

• Gradius

June 1, 2010 at 3:08 am

This is the first AVGN video I ever watched, and I couldn’t breathe from laughing so hard at his rant at the end. “I’ve had more fun playing with dog turds…”

• supermark64

June 6, 2010 at 6:58 pm

i lov the end!

• kamakazi geek

July 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm

i had one of the sequels to that peice of shit.
    i forgot the name.
    i played it about 10 years ago and it was pretty fucking good
    funny video lol

• Havecapewilltravel

July 1, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I would rather teach the mentally retarded how to play chess than to ever play this game again.

• Wolfwood187

July 5, 2010 at 5:11 am

I would rather watch waterworld while a buffalo shits down the back of my shirt with monkeys patting me on the back…. FUCK this game.

• hell

July 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm

i may not have had the last one for now… AVGN but i know i have this game for all of you >:) have fun with it i know i did hahahaha.

• JT84

July 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I always loved this game because of the puzzles and problem solving involved. Going through the dam was a lot of fun. The game is frustrating and I can see why people like the other ones over it, but this game poses a real challenge to the player while only offering 2 continues. It’s fun figuring out the best strategies to use for all the enemies and the proper or most preferred pathways of level progression. I get more out of this than the others myself which are geared more towards just beating everything up on screen. It really does come down to preference. I played this one first and I’m sure that has a lot to do with it but the other games just feel a lot more generic for their time.

• JT84

July 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Oh and about the water gripe. It’s the current that pushes you back to the start building. It’s like in the second ep of the show when the foot’s headquarters gets flooded and they get swept out. The current is what hurts you, being thrown about, not the water.

• moustachex

August 2, 2010 at 1:03 am

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT DIPSHIT !!!
    FIRST OF ALL , HOW DARE YOU MAKE ANY BAD CRITIC ABOUT ANY OLD SCHOOL , TURTLE NINJA , ANYTHING !!!!

FIRST OF ALL : !!!
    OLD TURTLE NINJA GAMES WERE ALL GOOD !
    OLD TURTLE NINJA CARTOONS WERE ALL GOOD TOO U PIECE OF SHIT !
    OLD TURTLE NINJA ACTION FIGURE WERE ARE AWESOME U FUCKING CUNT OF SATAN!!!
    AND YEAH MOTHERFUCKER ! ALL TURTLE NINJA MOVIES WERE MASTERPIECE !
    NOT LIKE THE CG TMNT SHIT YOU REVIEWED WITH LOVE DIPPSHIT AND HAPPINESS ASS-PISS

SECOND OF ALL YOU UGLY FUCK FACE :
    THE GAME WAS HARD, BUT THE GAMES WAS BEATABLE, i BEAT THE GAME, AND ILL BEAT UR ASS ANYTIME.

AND TO FINISH YOU USELESS PIECE OF STINKY FLESH:
    THE ONLY REASON U COMPLAINED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL ABOUT THE PURLE BRAIN NAMED KRANG NOT BEING IN THE GAME, IS BECAUSE YOU ARE SO FUCKING USELESS AS A HUMAN BEING ! YOU NEVER MANAGED TO BEAT THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME! JUST PLAY THE GAME UNTIL THE END, MAYBE ASK A FRIEND WHO’S NOT A TOTAL RETARD TO DO THE HARD PART, THEN MAKE YOUR REVIEW AGAIN YOU FUCKING MUSLIM WHORE!

best regard,
    moustachex

P.S : I HOPE U DIE IN PAIN

• Ferrobbra

August 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm

@moustachex
    [capslock] unleash the fury…
    i wonder how loud that sounded in your mind. maybe you dictated it to some software that interpreted it as all loud. is that your normal speaking voice? or do you have some disability that you have no control over how loud you speak?

and they arent turtle ninjas. they are ninja turtles.

here are some other things wrong with how you speak words english.

example: OLD TURTLE NINJA ACTION FIGURE WERE ARE AWESOME U FUCKING CUNT OF SATAN!!!

it should read. Old Ninja Turtle action figures < see the S thats what makes the SSSS sound as in Shut the fuck up. and i dont know what monkey god you worship. but in north america Satan is a dude. cunts generally are on women and post op transvestites. if you have ever seen one you would know that.

THE FIRST NINJA TURTLE GAMES SUCKS ASS FROM A STRAW LIKE AVGN SAYS! WHO ARE YOU TO QUESTION HIS AUTHORITY.

i hope dog shit falls from your mouth on your wedding day. i hope you piss a cactus out of your ass. id like to watch you run screaming through the street, burning and covered in horse semen. i hope you get cancer of the mouth from the goat you blew before writing your message.
    your brother in Christ
    Ferrobbra

P.s this game sucked all kinds of cock. just like your dead whore mother

• DarkNeonRain

August 22, 2010 at 11:08 am

This episode is classic. I can totaly relate to everything about this game that James shows. i´ve never beaten it. I might try again some day because it feels bad too leave a game unbeaten.

• nintenkid78

September 24, 2010 at 11:26 pm

It suckin’ fucks – ftw

• rofflecopter

October 16, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Bring back classic AVGN! Where the reviews weren’t actual reviews, just frustration and a hilarious string of insults. Cowabunga? COW-A-FUCKIN-PIECE-OF-DOG-SHIT!

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I loved the Ninja Turtles when I was a little kid, and I still like them today.

I think one of the reasons why they didn’t have most of the things from the first animated series is that the game designers were trying to base the game on the comics, which is where they originated from, but that’s just me.

“What a $h!t-load of f#ck.” And so, a catchphrase is born.

Perfect rant to end an episode. =)

• newclassicgamer

October 22, 2010 at 7:16 am

best rant ever

• GWARior

November 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

i love this game! but ur right it sucks!

• MyTheBoyWonder

December 19, 2010 at 1:12 pm

One of my favorites of all time!

• pobO

December 26, 2010 at 11:56 am

ye I love this game too. And me and my brother managed to beat it back in the days.

Still love the rants howver =)

• Mad Hatter

February 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm

James, what’s wrong with you ??????

you’re so unfair with this game.

I mean come on it’s beatable : I finished it when I was 8 in the REAL life with no emulator (ok I spent a lot of time)

I’me sure most of old gamers prefer the first TMNT than 2 nexts arcade versions.

most of games you reviewed are shit, everybody agree.

BUT this game is great !! you don’t like it ? that’s ok it’s your opinion but you can’t say this is a shitty game.

I don’t like the “Joconde” from Da Vinci but I’ll never say it’s a shitty paint.

I’ve already watched all your videos, and I think you’re doing great job (can’t wait ep 100)

Please don’t throw up on any good game anymore, you’re hurting fans :)

• warsilver

March 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm

This. Video. Is. Awesome. My favorite episode, though, how can you judge…

• damon

April 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

@Ferrobbra-
    you took the words right out of my mouth. i was going to try and flag that(if there was a flag button), but you gave him a piece of your mind.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• damon

April 1, 2011 at 9:28 pm

wtc? on the box, their bandanas and belts are all red/orange! that should have been a clue………

• RenderedToast

April 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm

This is maybe still my favourite of all your videos, and it was the first one I ever saw, way back in 2006. EVERY criticism is so completely right, and all things I thought at the time of release. I can believe other AVGN videos are a “character” speaking, but this is pure you throughout. So satisfying for this game to get its due as a piece of shit.

That said, the music and SFX are fucking awesome in my opinion and I’m glad it’s not just the Turtles theme looping on and on like other crappy games based on films, so at least there’s that.

“You can just walk over it?”. Preach on brother.

• toza

April 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm

So how can i donwload?

• SkullBallMovies

May 11, 2011 at 11:12 pm

It’s crazy to see how far you’ve come with your videos man. I know it’s been several years, but still. The classic episodes are great,and the new ones are great. You just can’t do wrong.

• May 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm

At 5:40 the English lexicon of nerds everywhere is changed forever.

• Videogamehub

June 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

You should Review TMNT II The Arcade Game for NES.

• June 28, 2011 at 5:19 am

Loving these tuesdays, guys! Can I make a wish? Might it be possible to make a mashup of this old TMNT episode and the newer one (BTTF revisited episode)?

• TheAgeingYoungRebel

June 28, 2011 at 5:42 am

Does anybody know where I can find the pic that is shown before you click play? Its the cover of the nes game and taken from teenage mutant ninja turtles comics #4. I just can’t find one without writing on it like the one shown in this video. Help!

• ddogg1

June 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm

the all time best ninja turtle game is tmnt 4 turtles in time

• BobJohnson

June 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Everybody better eat 5 bananas today for April O’ Neil, that bitch.

• mitchbitch

June 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm

THIS was my first AVGN video and i still remember that i laughed my ass off. i really had tears in my eyes because of hard laughing. the monologue at the end was just hilarious. i liked the first episodes cause i didn’t knew anything about you and thought that you were really a game nerd. it was extremly funny to watch a guy, who was that pissed about an old video game. great comedy, james.

• June 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I like that one. The first one I saw was Bible Games, and from there I went all the way through.

However, best one afaic is Silver Surfer

• markwritesmusic

June 29, 2011 at 5:44 am

LOL! WTF @moustachex’s comment?

I’ve never seen such a hateful comment be so terribly worded. He must not be a very dedicated fan if he can’t even get the fucking name of the cartoon, game, or action figures right. Turtle ninja? I must have missed that series growing up. And yeah, I have an emotional connection to the game because I grew up with it, but going back today… I must have been a glutton for punishment, because it’s terrible. TERRIBLE. Ultra Games (coughKonamicough) knew we wanted an NES version of the arcade game, and instead they gave us this crap. Shame shame.

But yeah, coming on here and ranting like that… Hilarious.

• SetoDreams

June 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

This is the first AVGN vid I ever saw.
    Has it already been 5 years since then? Damn, time moves fast!

• Wielderofknives

July 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Turtles can’t swim? wth

• July 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

@Mad Hatter, what do you mean he is hurting fans like you’re speaking for all of us, if you don’t like the review, say that he is hurting this fan, like you speak for all of his fans

• Mr. Voorhees

July 23, 2011 at 5:40 am

This review is STILL worth re-watching, even after 5 years!

Also, if this game is based on the cartoon series, then why, on the box art, are they all wearing red, like in the comics?

• DarkChaosXX

August 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Hey mouse, you are a fucking tool, he didn’t say anything about the cartoon nor the action figures, YOU are the Muslim whore. YOU deserve to die.

• Trivux

August 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm

i used to like this game when i was 4…its still playable but hard

• August 30, 2011 at 3:17 am

The game is full of some kind of errors ..it’s too random…but I try too pass the game ..

• September 8, 2011 at 7:32 pm

They based the shitty ass game on the comic book series which was really graphic and full of stuff and from the TMNT RP table top game. however this is a “kowabunga piece of dog shit” The game is an insult to the graphic comic book series and as well as the cartoon series.

• Stepper85

September 12, 2011 at 10:30 am

First for the classic.

• christburner

September 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

HAHAHAHAH Splinters my balls!!!!! still fuckin funny man…after all this time. jesus christ youve got a gift man

• KeithEllwood

September 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm

This game is classic and I’m fucking swesome at it!! Still fucking awesome at it!! You’re videos are great but you just suck at this game!

• AndrewKooijman

September 17, 2011 at 10:13 am

The’ve remade Turtles in Time. You can buy it at the Playstation 3 Network store

• rigby127

October 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

The turtles are freaking awesome but this game fucking sucks ass… I used to like it but I’ve tried it it recently and I literally think it would be easier to staple or hot glue my ballsack to a chainsaw that’s on while skydiving of the Empire State building.

• Starcraft39

October 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I remember in grammar school I didn’t have an NES and this was one of the games I remember looking REALLY cool at my friend’s house who lived in the nicer part of town. I felt better when I watched this for the first time knowing my parents didn’t waste their money, lol.

• Telereactor

October 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’ve watched this video at least 10 times. This game has a very nostalgic value to me. I can still remember playing this game as a kid, staying up late with my brother, yelling because neither one of us know where to go in the turtle van,.. Good times.

• senna4ever

November 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

I was shade too old to enjoy TMNT when they first came to popularity. I was about 16/17 so more interested in beer and girls.

However my younger brother loved them and I had to play this game with him.

I agree with The Nerd here, the game made no sense for the target audience at all.

I still have nightmares to this day of the game.

• LysanderTheevilmonkey

December 25, 2011 at 4:09 am

This review was my first AVGN video i ever saw, and my favorite. To this day i still laugh at the cowabunga rant at the end of this video. :D

• DavidBalfour

January 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm

When I first heard about AVGN from my friend, right away I asked, “Did he do a video about how ungodly terrible TMNT 1 was?” I swear I pee’d my shorts I laughed so hard at this. It’s still my favorite review in many ways. TMNT 1 was so bad, so irrelevant, so needlessly difficult, and so jam packed with garbage even as a TMNT loving 7 year old I called BULLSHIT on this monstrosity. Glad to see the hatred is still about. Cheers, James… Sad, lonely cheers…

• MrBrrumpkins

January 16, 2012 at 1:39 am

i loved this game back when i was in kindergarten…i could beat the technodrome, but always lost after that…i beat it using the emulator save state cheat..like most nes games..the nes games are the hardest to beat…games now a days are fairly easy to beat.

• tomtiss

January 18, 2012 at 3:11 am

man the hours of frustration I had playing this one game – I can so relate to what AVGN is going through – ill never 4get when I discovered the boss glitch with Donatello – I felt like it was only on my game at the time and none of my friends had the game and no internet so to me I was the only one who had this glitch :P

• Moon_Shadow

February 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

@tomtiss yeah, that game really annoyed me when I was a kid. I cou;dn’t figure out that part where you could just walk over those platforms when I used to JUMP ofer them and miss entirely… That sucked, like REALLY sucked, how could a KID figure that out?

• Jordanv78

January 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Personally I think this game is great. I’ve always liked it. I like the arcade style too, but this was pretty good for an adventure game.

I still love watching this nerd episode after all this time. It never gets old! Long Live the Nerd!

• dbgames

January 31, 2012 at 3:40 am

If you want affordable retro systems and games email us at yotaco14@yahoo.com We have atari, nintendo, super nintendo, nintendo 64, sega genesis, sega dream cast, sega saturn and many more… games and systems… serving the LA and OC area,,,, WE WILL SHIP TO OTHER PARTS OF CALI AND U.S. email us at yotaco14@yahoo.com if you have any questions

• StephenKing

February 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm

LMAO :) this game I have and I do not think I have finished it but I ain’t sure.

LOVE the Turtles and I have much of the different series on dvd.

Got the movies as well.

Looking forward to the Turtles game made by the company that made the Batman games for PS3.

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

Is it true there is a new live action Turtles movie?

Xbox Live Gold Membership (12 months) now available on G-Jays Productions: Game Zone!

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

Visit G-Jays Productions at http://g-jays.blogspot.com/2012/02/g-jays-gameone.html

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Is it true there is a new live action Turtles movie? I prefer either Michael Bay or JJ Abrhams do it.

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

• Brieareos

February 23, 2012 at 12:38 am

Loved this game

• boertjes87

February 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

I just bought the game for about 6 dollars (complete with booklet and cover) but man is it hard!!

• Kaleidoscopic God

March 10, 2012 at 12:24 am

Awesome game, entertaining review.

• Kaleidoscopic God

March 10, 2012 at 12:34 am

Awesome game, entertaining review. It’s not laugh-out-loud funny until the end, though. Utterly perfect rant to finish it off with.

• Snejku

March 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

Maybe Michael Bay directed this first game.

• syborfical1

April 9, 2012 at 7:50 am

A friend of mine had this game.
    It was fun for all of 12 minutes.

But it was almost as frustrating as Double dragon 3.
    Pitty the TMNT game wasn’t as good as the cartoon.

• Jessyfaulkner

May 10, 2012 at 12:49 am

I couldn’t get past the underwater bombs level. James really hit home when he did that part. I got the game because I loved the show, but it wasn’t at all what I expected it to be. The arcade version and the sequels were awesome, so at least the first failure was initiative to try harder unlike other shitty games that get worse with sequel games.

• Darktimes

May 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have this game on commodore 64. only two levels completed…
    That was fun

• DYDE19

May 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

this song is so good description of this game

• portugal

July 9, 2012 at 5:13 am

the classic AVGN

• brandonjg 83

October 25, 2012 at 8:04 pm

playyed just game alot

• November 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This was it. This was THE episode that got me hooked to AVGN (ANN as it were back then). I had this game, and as a kid, I remember it being SO fucking hard and I remember asking myself the same questions as James, like “who the fuck are these alien looking things, and this robot head thing, and wtf is up with not swimming in the sewer but swimming in the dam?” Oh the bombs in the dam is ANOTHER piece of shit that I won’t even get into. The best part, the very best part is the end rant. I remember showing this to somebody, can’t remember if it was my gf at the time or someone else, but I showed them this vid and they just didn’t get it. They said “he’s just yelling and cussing a lot its not even funny.” No wonder I fucking dumped the broad.

• Edward Windsor

January 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I used to own this on PC (286). Graphics (Despite being 16 colors) and sound were slightly better but not by much. PC version had security codes which were on beige paper in the manual so it was both hard to ready and photocopy. Same awful glitches! :-(

• April 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Wll this game is not that bad because it was the first tmnt game that i ever played and i liked it and i still playing it a lot but my oppinion is a great game

• William Hudson

June 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm

after seeing this (on youtube years ago) i started watching all the AVGN vids. good times.

• June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

I thought too this game was decent until I played TMNT 2, 3, and 4. Looking at it now makes me realized that TMNT 2, 3, and 4 were a million times better.
    Brilliant review James, this game sucks-ass now.

• July 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm

To be honest, I know this is a piece of shit game, but I still like it.

• July 7, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I love this episode. My only complaint about the game is that it’s too fucking hard. If they would have just toned down the difficulty a little, it would have been awesome. I mean TMNT 2 on NES was a pretty tough game to do single player, but I managed to beat it when I was like 8 or so. This game, however, I’ve never managed to beat. I’m almost 31 now and this game still kicks my ass. Fuck.

• legacy81

July 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

i remember i used to play this game for hours on end trying to beat it. i finally beat it when i was in 4th grade! personally, i liked this game, the music was cool and the turtles had a real hardcore look to them. not a cheesy cartoon look. this game was one of the ones i remember the most playing as a kid!

• August 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

After seeing a youtube video of the gameplay, and the ending, I’m shocked James never showed the ending to it! (It’s something that would make any turtle fan go ‘WTF?’)
    I won’t reveal it, but it’s something that should at least be shown to the masses and ridiculed!

• Senna4ever

December 8, 2013 at 10:56 am

You know why this had little to do with Turtles?

Cos it was not originally developed as a Turtles game. It was quite a way into development when they decided to change it to a Turtles branded game, which it why aside from the bare basic cosmetics, it really has no connection to Turtles.

• badass kickass

December 20, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Great review. Your reproducer still sucks do

• batratspidercrab

December 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

This is actually one of my guilty pleasure NES games :)

• Justin Middleton

March 14, 2014 at 6:04 pm

This game was very frustrating, indeed. My cousin and me played many hours of it at our grandmother’s house on my aunt’s NES, we could get past the swimming stages after a few tries. But we could not get past that lousy jump over the water, having to go back and do it over again was very irritating.

• blakerocksforever25

September 1, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Cowabunga…

• Znow

September 3, 2014 at 3:12 pm

“…and I don’t like it.” That ending was amazing.