AVGN: Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Mike Matei / April 24th, 2006

Watch this video on Youtube

Episode notes by Mike:
For this episode, James had me pick from a stack of NES games and choose which one I wanted him to review. I picked Who Framed Roger Rabbit (NES) because I played it a lot when I was a kid. James and I sat next to each other and recorded the footage on a small LCD screen. This was before we really had a good method for recording the game footage. James remembered how funny it was to punch people with Eddie. And I showed him some of the tricks in the game. Like how to get to the secret building, and getting to Toontown.
Up until this point, these reviews were only available to watch as Quicktime files on the old version of the Cinemassacre website. And around this time, I had just heard about a new website that was getting popular called Youtube. It offered people an easier way to watch videos than having to download a large Quicktime file. So I quickly made a Youtube account called “JamesNintendoNerd” and uploaded the first four videos. (Unfortunately, I did not put much thought into the channel name and they don’t allow you to change it!)
Also, I made a Myspace page for the videos to help get them seen. That was very helpful in the early days to promote the videos. It’s funny now looking back. A world where myspace was popular and YouTube was new. Now that’s taking you back to the past.

Comments

• korpsegrynder

April 11, 2010 at 12:35 am

movie rocked, game sucked.

• April 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm

A lot of people have been claiming the phone number Jessica Rabbit gives is actually the number for a sex line.

• TheMarkness

April 24, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Called it. Confirmed, it’s either Quest Personals(advertised on TV)or something like it, I didn’t bother listening to it for more than about 5 seconds…as soon as it connects you get charged.

• Shikster

April 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hated the game…….good review!

• TheValsalvaManeuver

April 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I called Jessica Rabbit’s #, and it was just a bunch of “horny girls, waiting to go live with me.”

• darkenterprise

June 11, 2010 at 10:57 am

ROFL!!!! Hey James! You know the number that the game tells you to call?? It’s a fuckin phone sex line now!!!! Lol.

• Rhetticus

June 24, 2010 at 12:00 am

LJN!! >_<#

• hell

July 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm

AVGN you are lucky i dont have this one yet but one day i will retrun here and ill have it hahahaha. >:D

• IrishBlood1989

August 2, 2010 at 8:20 pm

James, I swear to all that is holy that you HAVE to check out that number that appears in the game again. Apparently in the last 4 years since your review, its now a hot, sexy chat line in which you CAN talk to the real Jessica Rabbit (the hot, horny one) for only $1.99/minute!!!!

• pfc.ian

August 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

i have played this game it’s just i don’t know it’s so bad that i can’t even explain it

• wrpen99

September 12, 2010 at 6:53 pm

holy shit look at the box art…it’s the rainbow of doom! the spectrum of shit! the LJN logo!

• nintenkid78

September 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I love these classic reviews when the AVGN is just shooting from the hip – you nailed em’ James!

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Is there any GOOD game that LJN made before they flushed themselves down the toilet of bankruptcy? I love the movies on which LJN based most of their games on, but still, didn’t they have any respect?

After seeing the re-revisited episode for the first time, I dialed the number show in the game, and yes. It is now the number to a sex hotline. …My mind is still boggled.

I still find “I wanna nail Roger Rabbit to the f#ckin’ cross” 10 kinds of funny. =)

• NoahFTW

November 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I just called Jessica Rabbit and it’s a goddamn sex line, what the hell?

• gamerdudeI22

December 16, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I really love to punish my own genitals to AVGN. I wish I was inside of him!

• Will

January 19, 2011 at 12:38 am

Call that 800 number now. LoL It’s a sex chat line.

• glanesb

March 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

Just finishing up our Santa Barbara CA 4th Annual VIDEO GAME NERD MARATHON and I wanted to thank-you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bullshit

June 12, 2011 at 1:12 am

talk to exiting local people!!!
    😐

• gamers_love_sprite

September 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm

See LordKat’s episode about this game.

• nviso209

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 am

Rented this at the age of 7 from the local Blockbuster and somehow I knew THEN that LJN was LJSHIT! Thanks so much James for re-sparking those horrible rental nightmares of childhood trauma errr… Reality! Felt like a BAD C64 port with nowhere to go and end in sight… I think I rented BATMAN right after that and all was forgiven!

• JackeeLee

November 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm

That Jessica Rabbit number, I just called it. If it was once a sex hotline number, its not anymore. All it is is a 30 second ad for diets.com. It hangs up on you once the ad is over. Too bad, the sex hotline would have been so much funnier.

• OdieMikes

February 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Ya bunny-fuckin bitch!

• StephenKing

February 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

The movie is ACE but again I will stay far away from the game 😉

• frishdawgz

February 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

the pun minigame is worth the price of admission. hilariously awful

• frishdawgz

February 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

That Jessica rabbit phone call was entertaining x10

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

I haven’t seen the Roger Rabbit movie, I really wanna see it!

Xbox Live Gold Membership (12 months) now available on G-Jays Productions: Game Zone!

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

Visit G-Jays Productions at http://g-jays.blogspot.com/2012/02/g-jays-gameone.html

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

I haven’t seen the Roger Rabbit movie, I have high expectations for it.

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

• Mad Gamer xD

May 24, 2012 at 7:41 am

i found the movie always better than the game. did they ever have the fat detective guy make the weasels laugh themselves to death like in the movie in the game?

• David Whitton

November 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm

It was a sad thing, James, that the 4Kids of video game companies, LJN, had to make just about every movie-based game for the console you loved the most.

• Senna4ever

December 8, 2013 at 10:50 am

LJN didn’t make any games.
      They were a publisher, not a developer. So James’ hate toward them is misdirected as LJN never “made” a single game ever.

In fact a lot of LJN games were made by known developers like Rare(ware) and subsidiaries of Capcom, Kanomi.

• October 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm

did you know that the company that made this game was rarewere & ljn?

• Rodrigo Campeador

January 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Movie: Great. Game: Piece of shit.

• Rodrigo Campeador

January 29, 2014 at 8:15 pm

And didn’t Rare publish the game??

• Rodrigo Campeador

January 29, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I knew it was Rare, but LJN too??

• SilentPrayerCG

May 1, 2014 at 2:41 am

Bob Hoskins RIP. I will rewatch it, in his memory.

• Grandmasterp

August 3, 2014 at 5:42 pm

The NERD should have dipped this game in a big vat of shit or puke at the end. B-Dee, b-Dee, b-Dee, That’s all folks!!!

• December 12, 2014 at 4:44 am

My dad got this game for me when it was brand new since I loved the Roger Rabbit movie so much. I remember trying to call that number Jessica Rabbit gives you but it was busy for hours. Eventually, we got through and basically all it was was Jessica giving you a clue about something… I was a kid at the time so I don’t remember exactly what she said. It was a neat thing to have in a game. And this game did frustrate me a few times but I liked it. Took me forever to beat, too.