AVGN: The Karate Kid

Mike Matei / February 10th, 2006

Watch this video on Youtube

Episode notes by Mike:
For this third episode The Karate Kid (NES), once again James was at my place and we were playing some of my NES games. We played The Karate Kid and laughed at all the flaws in the game. This episode is like a hybrid of the first two videos. It combined the game footage with the nerd character we all know today. This was the episode that got me really excited about the idea of this as a show.
Back in 2005, James and I had a job working together editing corporate training videos. And at the time, these first three episodes (Bad NES Games) were only available to watch as Quicktime files on the first version of the site.
Back then, I would watch this episode over and over laughing hysterically about it. James only intended these three videos to be a trilogy. But I liked this Karate Kid video so much that I kept pestering him to do another one. Eventually, James agreed to make more. (Probably just to get me to shut up about it!)

Comments

• nicestpartsofhell

April 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Yeah… I definitely remember how fucking bad this game was. It was like fate brought us together. I was young, and didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I met Karate Kid at a flea market. I played it and thought, ok, this isn’t so bad. You chop ice, catch flies with chopsticks, and play chicken with a swinging razor or whatever the fuck it was. But then, just as James shows us. It becomes the most cheap, asshole, rotten fucking game on the planet. And just like he said, you can’t stop fucking playing it until you beat it. I’m only commenting about this, because I was in my attic the other day and found it. It made me so mad. So mad that it’s been hiding amongst my things for years and years. So I took it out back and hit it with a hammer until I was satisfied that it could never be played again. I then burned it, and watched as the remnants of the game’s title sticker bubbled and disappeared. And then I pissed on it. And now I feel all better. Don’t save these shitty games and expose your kids to them. Just destroy them..

• April 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Classic AVGN, this is actually the first episode you have a real temper tantrum and smash things to pieces (including the game itself)

• djdeluxe76

April 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Well at least one good thing came from this game: AVGN

• supermark64

June 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm

this was the 1st avgn i saw, witch was when this video was like a year old. i was roflmao

• Rhetticus

June 23, 2010 at 2:17 am

LJN D=. This is LJN’s first appearance on AVGN.

• Wolfwood187

July 5, 2010 at 4:58 am

LoL 00:28 priceless…

• hell

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm

im back 🙂 and i got a yet a nothere game for you guys thats right its The Karate Kid have fun. hahahaha.

• TristanRW

July 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

This game brought shame to Karate Kid like a whore to a Christian family. Seriously though this game at the time was fun to me but it was fucking hard. I think I beat it but it took such a long time to do it. The first three levels were pretty easy but those mobs of idiots and mini games are cheap. Then you get to that damn last level and you get fucked in the ass by those spear guys that look like it’s coming out of there dicks. And yeah the controls are so finicky and LJN can suck my balls.

• vitiinc

July 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm

dis game fucks my fuckin mind

• nintenkid78

September 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm

This video marks a big change for the AVGN. I wonder what happened in the two years between vids. Anyways, it obvious he really started putting some effort into the reviews at this point.

• September 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Well, the game is bad, of course, but it’s safe to say that this is the worst AVGN episode ever. I mean, ok, he does those little screams at the beginning, and gives the nice ‘Impossible Pit’ example, but almost the whole video he seems to don’t know what to say. He’s like ‘Oh, this game sucks and… Well it sucks… and…’ I mean, he doesn’t say funny things about it. And in the end, after finishing it, he stands in front of the camera in silence. That’s boring. Then he puts the game in the toilet, but there’s of course a cut.

I know that this is the first episode of the Nerd as a series, but I don’t care! FUCK THIS VIDEO!

But here’s my point: when it’s easy to tell what’s your favourite thing in a group it means that the whole thing sucks. But when you easily find the worst in the group, it means that it’s good in general (for example you can easly say what’s your favourite song of a bad singer, because he made only a few, while it’s impossible to tell the best Michael Jackson song, but you can easly find the one that you like the least). And this is the demonstration of how the Nerd series is awesome and I love it!

• SpeedyEric

October 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Ah, yes. The first episode of AVGN where James reviews an LJN game. Only one word describes this video: CLASSIC.

• gamerdudeI22

December 16, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I can appreciate incest.

• metal0737

January 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I hate that swining hammer!

• damon

April 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

@Kombatgod-
    you went avgn on this episode! conga rats!

also:
    Lethargic
    Jizz
    Nuts!

• April 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm

…What is that in your pocket, hiding with your pens? Is that a dragon? Or some other various mini-plushie??

• hamfam789

April 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm

only 16 comments? why are the old videos so unpopular

• Splimis

June 2, 2011 at 2:57 am

Speaking of games that came from things much better than their adaptations, Lord of the Rings for SNES was probably the first time I was ever disappointed with a video game adaptation. Ironically, I still have the cartridge. The only reason I ever fire it up is for the music. At least there were many subsequent and superior adaptations, although those were movie based. Kind of weird.

• darkmartheight

June 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

“Well, let me be honest with you about this one. Ooooh boy. i…HATE…this game. I mean, it makes me want to kill myself.”

This is probably one of my favorite AVGN moments ever. Brilliant.

• Stepper85

September 12, 2011 at 10:21 am

Great episode !

• chrono2

October 22, 2011 at 12:19 pm

MAAAN Don’tcha just LOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT when you see nothing but SPAM in the comments?

• senna4ever

November 26, 2011 at 8:26 am

Early Nerd.

This is the vid where he becomes The Nerd that will entertain us all for years.

• Uncle_Jemima

December 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm

haha, what was that green thing in your shirt pocket? That game looks umm like a game i may not want to play through today or tomorrow, glad you did!

• January 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Awesome to see how much better you’ve got on hiding reading lines throughout the years. Great stuff to everyone who works on these with you.

• Mistertoast

January 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm

@neighbz

I guess that’s because h barely ready lines anymore.

He does it in improvisation or memorizes what he wants to say.

• GustavoUchoa

January 25, 2012 at 3:36 pm

The thing about the Karate Kid NES game is that it totally teaches the very opposite lesson the film does. I mean, in the movie, you get the feeling you can become a karate champion out of the blue in a few months and defeat people who have been training their whole lives just because they’re assholes. In the game, guess what? Karate is fucking hard motherfuckers, go and practice and kill your thumbs off.

• HeroOfDark

January 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

LJN? NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• manaburnsuicide

January 29, 2012 at 6:53 pm

does anyone know what is says on the back of the cartridge?

• Omegaruin

February 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm

[email protected] back in the day when you buy older used games there would be some kids name on the back or front sticker.

• Omegaruin

February 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm

• StephenKing

February 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I LOVE the movies but I think I’ll pass on this game 😉

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

Sadly, the ending sucks!

Xbox Live Gold Membership (12 months) now available on G-Jays Productions: Game Zone!

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

Visit G-Jays Productions at http://g-jays.blogspot.com/2012/02/g-jays-gameone.html

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

The ending is not worth the effort!

(Wii, PS3, Xbox, and PC games and consoles also available)

• Spoongoonkay

March 21, 2012 at 6:27 am

I have a question… Why is there a weird green dinosaur looking stuff animal in your pocket at the end of the video?

• April 8, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hahaha I always get a kick out of him flipping off the TV. It’s so stupid it’s awesome!

• Mad Gamer xD

May 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm

on robot chicken they make fun of the movie using tmnt backstreet boys or nsync britney spears jessica simpson mortal kombat and alot more whack things

• HeavyIsPie

September 15, 2012 at 7:09 pm

fuckin advertising comments+fucking filtering software that i was told was antivirus 2 years ago by my dad=no avgn ;-;

• November 8, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I love how there’s these random ass comments from people like “I can appreciate incest.” Like, really dude? I…I…*guess* I can totally see the appeal of wanting to fuck a family member…and then have all these awkward moments afterwards like at thanksgiving dinner and christmas…yeah totally… The convenience of being able to go down to your sister’s room for some ass, or being able to ask your mom for some head instead of actually going out into the real world and interacting with other people TOTALLY outweighs the shame, humiliation, guilt, and complete and utter nauseatingness of it all!

• David Whitton

November 29, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Lucky for me, I’m not collecting any game made by Laughin’ Jokin’ Numnuts (LJN).

• February 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I just realized that he had a stuff animal in his pocket. Kinda weird lol and i’ve seen this episode a lot.

• pill crunch

August 12, 2013 at 7:16 pm

hmmmmm

• November 8, 2013 at 6:25 am

whats the deal with the tiny green doll in his pocket?

• November 20, 2013 at 11:05 pm

This feels more like a normal review than usual videos! I mean, there’s not all that screaming, it’s just coldly and calmly pointing out all the problems.

• TheGamer9182

December 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm

No wonder why the game was bad, it was made by LJN.

• May 16, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Great episode 🙂

• May 28, 2014 at 9:58 pm

THAT GAME IS A PICE OF SHITE LOAD OF DONKY FUCKING ASS

• Vernon Schaal

July 6, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Other then it being a real short game its still challenging and some what of a fun game to play. Yes I do own a copy of it for my nes, and i do play it every once in awhile.

• July 26, 2014 at 9:08 pm