Legend of the Blue Hole – Commentary

Mike Matei / May 8th, 2004

Legend of the Blue Hole – Commentary by James Rolfe, recorded in 2004. SEE THE FILM HERE.

Comments

• Jime

April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Awesome commentary, just as good as the movie.

I’ve been watching your early works chronologically so this one is definitely a milestone. For me its reminiscent of Hitchcock or even the Ray Bradbury shorts that were done in the 90′s. In your commentary you say how different this one is from your previous efforts, because of the dialogue and lack of blood. Yeah your right, it is. The funny thing is that while i was watching your previous films I was hoping for some good dialogue and a lack of blood.

The thing is, James, that you have suspense in everything you do. That’s the key, the defining element to your work. You are a natural at suspense. So the question is what do you fill the rest of the time with?

Think of Rear Window. Hitchcock could have shown us the husband butchering the wife. He could have shown us the bloody bathroom and the sawn off limbs. Certainly the images would have been terrifying, but he chose not to.

Instead Hitchcock gave us a relationship between Grace and Jimmy. He gave us the tension of Jimmy’s fear that she was too good for him, and of Grace showing us how courageous and daring she really was. In that film it was not the gore that draws the audience in, it’s the relationship between the characters while underneath it all rages a river of suspense–we want to know what happened in that apartment across the way.

You are a natural at making the river of suspense. That is not a problem for you. The tricky part seems to be filling the screen with goodness till we get to the payoff.

Again, good work.

• TimBurtonFreak

June 7, 2010 at 6:09 pm

This film, this commentary, are both amazing. When I saw the film, er, short, I couldn’t believe that it was made by a college student. The fact that you actually filmed it by the Blue Hole was freaky and fascinating. The Blue Hole itself seems terrifying, especially with the backsory you provided. This is an incredible film, with great affects at the beginning, a terrifying mystery, and a twist ending. I had heard of the legend of the Blue Hole from a friend, and I barely gave it a second thought. Now that I’ve heard about it in more depth (no pun intended), it is truly fascinating. I’ve always been interested in legends an the supernatural and paranormal, so this really sparks my interest. I can’t wait for more Jersey Odyssey episodes! :)
    PS–What happened to your cousin? Was she alright?

• Lesley M.

August 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I saw the black and white mask you used in your haunted house tour in the antique shop. Nice touch.

• Syph

September 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Wow… Why are there only 3 other comments here? This is amazing stuff!

• July 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Not to ruin the magic but I’ve been told by a geologies that there are actually several Blue Holes around the world. Three of which are on the east coast of North America. The only difference between them and the normal vernal pools (pools of water that dry out completely at one part of the year and thus do not support fish life) of New Jersey is that incredibly rare types of moss grow around them. What makes them rare is that they release a neurotoxin in the water, I think it’s intended as a sort of antifreeze, but the result is people swimming in the waters don’t realize they’ve stopped breathing.

• July 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm

This movie was quite impressive. The tone is not excessively dark, as James pointed there’s not even blood in it; yet, I love how the eerie atmosphere envelops the viewer in a rather passive gradual manner. The nightmare acts as a great foreshadowing symbol, however, the scenes in the forest really creeped me out to the point of goosebumps . I’m honestly terrified of the blue hole now; wouldn’t wanna be anywhere near that place for sure. I can tell when a movie is great when it affects me in a deeper level, in this case inspiring tremendous fear in my mind and soul. Excellent work James! awesome things happen when your talent and dedication are put together.

• Razorgeist

July 7, 2011 at 4:53 am

Impressive film sir. And I did enjoy the twist.

• July 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Ive never watched any of the Rolfe films before but I tend to watch everything that comes up in the latest videos section and I properly love this film. Ive worked in cinemas for a long time and met a lot of film students along the way; they have never produced anything with as much atmosphere and thought as this.

It reminds me a lot of Are You Afraid of the Dark. The acting seems really good, the thought that has gone into the layout of each from as well as the monster coming out of the lake remind me a lot of Dawsons Creek, although im sure that is unlikely the desired reference. But its good you know, it looks professional and thats what Im trying to put across here.

It was really nice to have the commentary over the top, especially parts about the news reports and the mystery of the Blue Hole, it reminded me of the story of Mel’s Hole which is also fascinating to me and it gives an in depth look at how much passion has been put into filming these episodes.

I wish we had places like that in the UK, all we have is Stone Henge and a hill that seems to defy gravity as you roll up it in a car. I used to go into the woods and found some cool abandoned mills and farms as a kid, but nothing with any exciting back stories like this.

I hate to say it, but I actually found this more enjoyable than the AVGN stuff, which is quite an achievement.

Also, loving the twist. I wish they still made shows like this, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Tales of the Unexpected, Twilight Zone etc.

• Five5x

February 26, 2013 at 12:41 am

We share the same fear. I have always been afraid of water deeper than 6 feet. The depth and the fact that there’s no ground to stand on scares the hell out of me.

• December 17, 2013 at 1:05 am

I shit my pants when i saw the map… looked up the exact location, I’ve been living next the those woods(winslow fish and wildlife management area) all my life, never knew the blue hole was a ten minute drive from my house (plus the walk of course)… no wonder I’ve always thought those woods are really creepy, and btw there are actually a few of those blue holes out there(as you said in the commentary), I’ve seen a few while exploring those woods, and I’ve had some of the most ‘maybe paranormal’ experiences in my life out there. Ones of the blue hole(s)is really close to my side of these woods and its rumored to be a dumping ground for bodies and similiarly bottomless and green, it’s eerie as fuck and full of weird algae and shit. I’m going some day soon to visit the blue hole for the first time, see the weirdness for myself. (Though it will likely be frozen with the cold ass weather we’ve had… maybe some day when it’s nicer and probably thawed.)