The Mind that Makes the Matter (2000)

Mike Matei / March 20th, 2000

Open your mind and travel into the realm of subconscious filmmaking. Made during my Freshmen year at college while adapting to new surroundings. This is not a class assignment. I filmed it around school using any actors I could find. It’s a mess, but I enjoyed it’s loose experimental quality.

Comments

• Jime

April 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Here’s another film where you do a really good job of building suspense, especially in the beginning.. I’m guessing that you learned this from your love of Hitchcock and other horror greats. But especially Hitchcock as he is the master of suspense.

Seems the suspense point here is finding out what’s in Drake Tower. That is what I was interested in. Problem is that once this illumination is out of the bag then the suspense went away, which is why it is important to have multiple suspense points. Think of a show like LOST–there are a hundred suspense points floating around such that when one is resolved there are still several more to fall back on.

Anyway, fun for an early piece of work. Dashing stache there James.

• March 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

The funniest scene in the movie has to be those two guys versus the possessed refrigerator. Now that’s how anyone would call it “f**king hilarious!”

• March 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Interesting movie. This calls for a remake.

• shagrabath

March 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm

lol Rob Zombie at 14:21
    awesome movie! and you get to see james dressed up as a douchebag!
    loved it!

• Datleco

March 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

The older alias, The Rolfe Guy, must be a school project or an idea that could’ve been used for a school project. Either way, if I’m wrong or not, this is pretty cool.

• March 14, 2011 at 3:40 am

I love the guitar music by Phil Tobias in this film. It does a great job setting the atmosphere for some scenes. Awesome film!

• Born in the wrong time.

June 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm

The thought text was pretty funny man,
    another classic.

• Deeke

September 4, 2011 at 7:03 am

I recognize the opening song! Time by Pink Floyd, good stuff man.

This vid is more abstract and gives the viewer a sense of their own mortality.

• Ninjawasp2600

December 22, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Great movie!

• Ben Murphy

January 11, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I love your films ! your a big inspiration to me I’m a 12 year old film maker and your story has inspired works of mine like pawn shop , my Godzilla fan film series and my script for death do you part and never nock twice

• Grandmasterp

July 2, 2014 at 8:08 pm

That’s a half hour of my life I would like to get back. Was that a suspense thriller or a comedy? I know this is an early film for you, but god damn. That acting was terrible. Legend of the Blue Hole was really good, this one was pretty crappy.